Need Solar Charge Controller Recommendation- 12v system, 2x240 watt (Vmpp 30.4v)

1 Posts
Oct 10, 2014 04:12 pm
Need Solar Charge Controller Recommendation- 12v system, 2x240 watt (Vmpp 30.4v)

I've got two REC 240PE(BLK)  240 watt solar panels, and I'm wanting to find the least expensive (but not junk) charge controller that would charge a deep cycle 12 volt battery.  Can you recommend one that would do the job?

These solar panels has these specs:
2 panels x 240 watts = 480 watts total
Voc=37.7 volts
Vmpp=30.4 volts
Isc=8.4 amps
Impp=7.9 amps

Due to budget constraints at this point I'm more concerned about getting an operational system than having expansion capabilities.

Thank you for your advise!

Eric

2 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 02:04 pm
Re: Need Solar Charge Controller Recommendation- 12v system, 2x240 watt (Vmpp 30.4v)

Hello Eric,
Since your solar modules have a higher voltage than the battery bank voltage, you will need to use an MPPT charge controller that has the ability to down convert the voltage of your solar to your battery charge voltage.   If sized properly to your greatest output potential you would need a 45 amp controller for a 12 volt battery bank like this one:  http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-MPPT-Solar-Controllers/Morningstar-Tristar-TS-MPPT-45-45A-MPPT-Charge-Controller/p7727/
It would allow you to put up to 600 watts on a 12 volt system.  You could also use a 30 amp controller as long as you are aware that under Ideal conditions you could have the potential to put out more than 30 amps.  The charge controller will current limit itself to 30 amps of output.  Here is an option for a 30 amp MPPT that will do the down conversion that you need:  http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Midnite-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Midnite-Solar-The-KID-30A-MPPT-Charge-Controller-150V-Black/p11138/
I hope this answered your question.
If you have additional questions I can be reached directly at greg @ altestore.com

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!