Horse water tank

1 Posts
Aug 7, 2003 11:49 am
Horse water tank

I have these water tank that freezes in the winter and because I don't have electric power enough up to that area, I can't use the electric heater in the water. (the ones that you just put in water to keep it from freezing.)
I was wondering if you have anything that could solve my problem. It would have to be something that you put in the water to warm up the water. It has 80 gallons of water. And needless to say something cheap!  thanks

1 Posts
Aug 27, 2003 07:17 am
Re: Horse water tank

Bury your tank below freezing level then use a solar pump to circulate the water through a shallow trough with gravity back to the tank.

>I have these water tank that freezes
>in the winter and because I
>don't have electric power enough up
>to that area, I can't use
>the electric heater in the water.
>(the ones that you just put
>in water to keep it from
>freezing.) I was wondering if you
>have anything that could solve my
>problem. It would have to be
>something that you put in the
>water to warm up the water.
>It has 80 gallons of water.
>And needless to say something cheap!
> thanks

39 Posts
Oct 22, 2003 12:34 pm

wilma, another option is to put in a bubbler, similar to a fish tank pump, or use some type of small motor attached to a paddle. Both these methods keep the water moving and prevent it from freezing...

5 Posts
Dec 27, 2003 09:56 pm

You can fabricate a tin box to submerge in the tank.Picture a boot shaped tin box.the toe part needs to be submerged in water and no leaks and the top part of boot is open and above the water line.make it large enough to put the base of an oil lamp or better 2 lamps in.The lamps heat the top of the toe part and keep it from freezing.It's been used for a hundred years or more.              
                   |     |
                   |     |
                   |     |_____
                   |           |
                   |      lamp |    
                   |___________|          
About the best I can do but I hope it gives you an Idea of what I'm talking about.Any local mettle shop can make one up.

5 Posts
Dec 27, 2003 09:59 pm

Boy that boot Didn't post like it looked when I typed it.If you would like I can e-mail a diagram.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!