Time to get serious designing my off-grid home solution

76 Posts
Dec 21, 2011 12:02 pm
Time to get serious designing my off-grid home solution

The first step was taking my garage / workshop off-grid.  With 4 Kyocera and 4 Mitsu 125w panels, and an Air-X wind generator, the shop has been off-grid for four years now.
The next step was building a structure that would serve as the PowerHouse for the off-grid home.  About a month ago, our shed was finally finished, with the added bonus of a reinforced storm shelter (a must-have here in the Midwest!).  Power management (charge controllers and power inverters) and storage (batteries) will be in this basement room.  Solar and wind will be atop the roof, and additional solar and wind mounted separately as needed.

So here's where I'm at.  The building is done, save for interior wall panels, which won't go in until the DC and AC wiring is complete.  It's a blank slate.  Ready to go.

Now, it's time to design the power system.  I intend to use a hybrid of wind and solar.  The building is 16 x 24, with an 8' overhang to one side, like a carport (for parking the lawn tractor in to keep it out of the sun).  That means 32' x 8'+ of south-facing roof for PV modules.  270 or so square feet.  Near the top of the roof, on the north side, will be wind generators.  One on each end, and one in the middle.  AIR-30 / AIR-40.  Before we take the house off-grid, we'll also install a generator, yet to be decided.

So, for those that have taken their grid-connected homes / cabins off-grid, what do you suggest?  The one thing I hate doing is... REDOING.  So I want to get it right the first time.

I want this thread to be specifically about setting up the system, not about things inside the home (water heater, HVAC, etc.).  We'll assume I'm in good shape there.  I'm just looking to maximize the power generation and storage with what's available.
I'll post again soon (probably over Christmas weekend) with a proposed parts list and schematics.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

65 Posts
Dec 28, 2011 06:40 pm
Re: Time to get serious designing my off-grid home solution

Hey Travis,
I have a few misc. thoughts - in no particular order.

1) Internally (here at altE) we've become increasingly convinced that the new Midnite Solar lightning arrestors will provide better lightning protection for your system versus the traditional lightning arrestors. Check out the video on our spec page:

http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclosures-Electrical-Safety/Lightning-Protection/Midnite-Solar-Solar-Surge-Protection-Device-115V/p9546/

Another plus to them, is basically if they somehow do get fried, the manufacturer will actually replace them during the warranty period (and inexpensively after the warranty). Where as with the Delta lightning arrestors, they are more like fuses - they are expected to "pop" to absorb a nearby lightning strike. Once it's popped - time to get a new one.

2) A lot of the installers that buy from us really like the Soladeck combiner box that can be installed right on to shingled roofs. Makes roof penetration and combiner box mounting easier. It's designed more for high voltage systems, but could be used with lower voltage systems as well.

http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclosures-Electrical-Safety/Electrical-Enclosures/Combiner-Pass-Through-Boxes/Soladeck-DC-Combiner-Box-600VDC-120A/p9517/

3) Again for lightning protection, but in this case for your wind turbines, I learned a trick from a former NASA physicist to get charge to dissipate more quickly on your turbine tower and decrease it building up enough to discharge as a lightning strike. It's a little difficult to describe but here goes... Basically you make a kind of ball out of frayed out wires (say 10-12 AWG) all clamped together at one end and connect it to off of the side of the mounting pole if it's grounded or have it run to ground. The concept is that the increased surface area, and sharp edges of of all this cut copper wire will more easily discharge into the air than just the tower itself.

I know once customer of ours in a very lightning prone tropical location did this and they've not had lightning fry anything since (they did before).

4) Consider using an MPPT solar charge controller so that you put more of your solar panels in series, use smaller wire size and get overall higher performance out of your whole system. The one I'm considering for my house right now is Midnite Solar's Classic - right now it's the only controller that provides arc fault protection.

http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Midnite-Solar-Charge-Controllers/c1180/

5) In terms of mounting, I personally prefer the IronRidge XRS rail system because it requires fewer attachment points on your roof than other manufacturers seem to require - reducing your time on the roof and fewer potential holes in your roof means fewer potential points for leaking down the road too.

What voltage are you thinking of running your battery bank at? And what are you thinking for total power output of your inverter(s)?

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2011 06:42 pm by Sascha Deri »

65 Posts
Dec 28, 2011 06:56 pm

I've uploaded a photo of that "frayed ball" of wire for charge dissipation to our Gallery. The customer sent it to me and as you'll see they had a bit of sense of humor about it:

http://www.altestore.com/solar-showcase/photos/photo/dave-lightning-strike-preventor-1356/

AltE

76 Posts
Dec 28, 2011 08:07 pm

Hey Travis,
I have a few misc. thoughts - in no particular order.

1) Internally (here at altE) we've become increasingly convinced that the new Midnite Solar lightning arrestors will provide better lightning protection for your system versus the traditional lightning arrestors....
I have a lightning arrestor on my garage system, so I'll have to remember to add it to the "shopping list" I'm creating for The Big Project as well.  At what point(s) would I put them?  On my garage system (4 sets of 2, 12v/125w modules) I have all the PV juice going to one combiner inside, and the lightning arrestor is mounted there.

2) A lot of the installers that buy from us really like the Soladeck combiner box that can be installed right on to shingled roofs. Makes roof penetration and combiner box mounting easier. It's designed more for high voltage systems, but could be used with lower voltage systems as well.
I plan on using 48v batteries going to a pair of Xantrex inverters.  As for PV voltage, I'm using 24v on the garage.  Using MPPT chargers, I can go higher, so I still have some deciding to do.  I plan on building in some redundancy, so I won't be going near 600v for the PV modules.  The distance for the wiring will only be from the 1-story roof to the basement, so I shouldn't have to go too big with wire size.
4) Consider using an MPPT solar charge controller...
Will do.  I like my C40 for my garage, but the MPPT chargers allow a lot more flexibility with PV input power.

5) In terms of mounting, I personally prefer the IronRidge XRS rail system because it requires fewer attachment points on your roof than other manufacturers seem to require - reducing your time on the roof and fewer potential holes in your roof means fewer potential points for leaking down the road too.
I'll probably be building my own mounting solution.  I'm familiar with working with metals.  The roof is corrugated metal, and I'll be running grounds at all four corners of the building.

What voltage are you thinking of running your battery bank at? And what are you thinking for total power output of your inverter(s)?
48v battery pack.  I'm running 24v in the garage, and it handles the loads I have there well.  For the house, I'll put two of Xantrex's bigger offgrid/gridtie inverters together for 220vac.  I'm going to try to assemble a preliminary list over the weekend.

65 Posts
Dec 30, 2011 01:53 pm

>I have a lightning arrestor on my garage system, so I'll have to remember to add it to the "shopping list" I'm creating for The Big Project as well.  At what point(s) would I put them?  On my garage system (4 sets of 2, 12v/125w modules) I have all the PV juice going to one combiner inside, and the lightning arrestor is mounted there.

Typically they're wired just before the input of your charge controller off of your DC disconnect box or off of your solar combiner. The Midnite Solar lightning arrestors can uniquely also be used on the AC side of your system as well. So you could put on the AC disconnect box to protect that side as well (this is optional but gives you more protection from a pulse jetting in from your AC wiring side).

>I'll probably be building my own mounting solution.  I'm familiar with working with metals.  The roof is corrugated metal, and I'll be running grounds at all four corners of the building.

Ok, just be aware that if you're using dis-similar metals you'll get corrosion. The panels all have Aluminum frames, if you use iron mounting, you'll probably want to consider a method for isolating the frames from the mount - perhaps UV protected large grommets.

You'll want to get a ground lug for each panel and run bare grounding wire to each lug (each panel) to ensure proper grounding (of course run that wire to ground as well Wink.

>48v battery pack.  I'm running 24v in the garage, and it handles the loads I have there well.  For the house, I'll put two of Xantrex's bigger offgrid/gridtie inverters together for 220vac.  I'm going to try to assemble a preliminary list over the weekend.

Sounds like a good plan. The 48V will more easily allow you to have more capacity in your battery bank.

AltE

99 Posts
Feb 23, 2012 02:32 pm

My recommendations:

1) Don't mount your turbines to your structure.  Use a separate pole mount.  Also, rather than three small turbines (lots of moving parts) mounted low to the ground (much less wind), consider a larger turbine mounted on a taller tower.  I'm fond of my Bergey XL.1.

2) Choose a high-quality, long-lasting (and warrantied), deep-cycle battery bank.  I like Rolls-Surrette.  Also, opt for independently switched parallel banks in case you need to replace one or more batteries or perform maintenance.  This way you can keep power flowing to your house while one bank is offline.  This adds redundancy and reliability.  If you only want to buy one bank for now, pre-wire it to add a second or third in parallel later.

3) Run extra wires between your shed and your house now rather than trying to feed extra ones later.  E.g. you may want to run CAT-6 wire to send system data to a computer in the house.  Or coax for security camera feeds.  Or you may want to have an independent inverter for your well pump or other large load.  You may also want to (and I HIGHLY recommend to) run some DC loads in your house directly.  Pull all of these wires at the same time even if you don't use some of them yet.

4) Put lightning protection on your indoor breaker panels, because lightning can strike the ground between your shed and your house and overload your house circuits.  Also make sure to have a surge protector on your inverters.  Over-amperage protection (breakers) is not enough.

5) Don't put off the backup generator but don't go overboard on it either.  You don't need to run your whole house with it, just charge your battery bank.  A camping-sized propane generator ought to be sufficient.  Mine puts out just over 1kW, which is as much as my wind turbine is rated at top speed.  That's plenty to charge up the batteries.  The batteries themselves handle surge loads.  I.e. you may be running your 1kW generator to charge your batteries for an hour, and during that time, your well pump may pull 2kW for 3 minutes.  No problem.  You don't need a 2kW generator for that.

6) Opt for propane rather than diesel or gasoline for your generator.  Propane does not need stabilizers to keep for a long time, it cannot spill on the ground, and it doesn't gum up engines that may not run for 6-12 months between uses. 

7) Make sure to vent your battery boxes to the outside, store extra distilled water at all times (unless using AGM or gel batteries), and install freeze protection inside.  While charged batteries can go below freezing and be OK, they won't hold their charge as long and won't charge up as fully.  It's actually more efficient to leave a 20-40 watt light bulb on in there than to let the batteries freeze.  You'll have more usable power that way.  I have two CFL light bulbs (about 20W each) on a little thermostat cube which turns them on below 40.  My space is only about 5'x5' though -- you may need more heat than that unless focused near your batteries.  I would avoid heat tape or space heaters because of the hydrogen.

8 ) If using regular flooded batteries, buy water miser caps to reduce the number of times you need to top them up.

9) Make sure to size all of your wires big enough and use fuses where appropriate.

10) Be safe at all times.  Make sure someone knows you're working on electric before you start so they can check up on you.

76 Posts
Jun 26, 2012 09:33 am

Great advice, Thomas!

The reason I plan on using multiple turbines is because 1) I can do them, and 2) redundancy .  A single turbine failing means no wind power at all.  I still haven't finalized that decision yet, though, and may still opt for a bigger unit on a tower.... still thinking about it (and the work involved).

I have sets of 4 batteries on my garage (two pair of two on each shelf), so I can take one set offline while the others are still in operation.  A great idea!  I'll have a bigger version of that for the house, where I can take one shelf or an entire rack offline for maintenance, leaving the rest of the batteries online.  Was going to use DC breakers and a breaker box, unless there's a better way.

Run extra wires: great idea!  I hadn't really thought of it.  I was going to run the wire through a large pipe, which would give me room to snake more wire through later, but I like your suggestion of running some wire through there in advance.  I could always tuck it back out of the way and label it so I know it's not connected to anything.

Generator: Agreed.  The generator only needs to be big enough to give the batteries a little lift.  The generator would be set to charge the batteries, NOT interact directly with the house AC.

As far as fuel, I haven't decided.  Was going to opt for gasoline, because I could use home-brewed fuel if there were a global economic problem or other major issue.  Propane comes in pressurized tanks, and I don't know how to duplicate that at home.  I do know how to make alcohol fuels, and I keep top lube on hand.

7.  The batteries will be in the basement, on open shelves (probably coated wire racks fixed to the wall so they can't tilt).  The basement room should have sufficient ambient airflow for hydrogen gas to escape.  Because it's a basement, it won't get below 32deg. (freezing) in there.  I monitored the air temps last winter to make sure.  Still, I'll probably add a little bit of insulation to the storm doors just to help out.
If freezing were an issue, what about a seedling heat mat under the batteries?  They're usually about 20w, and themostatically controlled.  I don't think I'd need that in my basement, but it might actually help my garage system in the winter.

9.  wire sizes: oh yea.  I've built an EV, and got some good education on wire sizes and fuses or breakers.

10. Be safe.  Definately.  I plan on putting numerous lock-outs and other safety considerations in place.  I've worked in some factories, which gives me at least some insight into how these kinds of things work (lockout/tagout, letting someone know what you're working on, etc.)

Great advice all around- thanks!

4 Posts
Nov 8, 2013 08:33 am

I am planning to take the biggest part of my house off grid. I have four windturbines and 4.2kw of solar. I have left my bank at 12 volts and have a 2250 ah battery bank. I have multiple out backs going to a hub and mate for the solar and the wind turbines have their own charge controller with a dump load.

I've been told that a higher voltage system would be a better way to go, but I can walk into any parts store or r.v. dealership and walk away with 12 volt items I need for the house.

i'll be hard wiring a aims 5000/10000 watt pure sine wave inverter into a separate braker box. I will put a disconnect between the braker box and inverter and one between the regular braker box so I can switch back and forth if need be.

our next home will be totally off grid on a 12 volt system. I know it can be done. I set up a 12 volt system for a friend of mine. he has one outback and is running four 200 watt panels to charge 10 6 volt Duracell golf cart batteries. he has propane to run his frig, stove and water heater. if it storms for 6 days straight he will trip the braker between his braker box and inverter. then he'll turn on the braker and start up his genny. after one day of charging in low light conditions he is charged back up fully and ready for another six days of rain. if the sky is clear and sunny, he has all the power he needs to run everything in his home. he runs the lights, tv , ceiling fans, microwave, computers what ever he needs. he just watches how long he runs the larger stuff like the micro wave or power tools. other than that he is ready to go all the time.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!