ad hoc starter kit for greenhouse

1 Posts
Jun 22, 2011 12:19 am
ad hoc starter kit for greenhouse

sunlinq 62w p3 panel system with the
xantrex 1500 rolling battery (with AltE recommended accessories)
~$1400
does this set up look viable to the forum? I want to run a very small greenhouse/cold frame ( a cd player or laptop,
about 8 CFL lights and a large fan)?

Thanks in advance for any help,
lyn

462 Posts
Jun 22, 2011 08:35 am
Re: ad hoc starter kit for greenhouse

Lyn, we just need to know the power draw from each appliance and how long you plan on using them.

so, -what draw of power from each appliance? (there should
    be a tag stating watts or amps)
    -At what voltage are they operating,  12, 110?

3 Posts
Jun 22, 2011 09:41 am

Hi Lyn,

As Tom indicated, we need to determine your daily watt-hour consumption for each day. You can do this by finding the wattage rating of each load, multiplying it by the hours that load will be used, and adding them all up. You are also welcome to use our handy Load Calculator at the following link:
http://www.altestore.com/store/calculators/load_calculator/

Note that there are separate fields for AC watts (loads that require an inverter) and DC watts (loads that run directly off of 12Vdc). If you're unsure of the wattage rating of your loads, there is a list of loads below the fields with typical wattage ratings that can be used as a guide.

We will also need to know your location to size the system for the worst-case peak sun hours available. For off grid designs without a backup system (like a generator), we need to ensure the system will provide enough power even during the lowest-light times of year, and prepare for the possibility of multiple days without sun.

Best Regards,
John Coen
AltE
john @ altestore.com

Aug 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I have a 16' x 12' PVC tunnel house with an 85W/12 v 1440 cfm fan (actually an automobile radiator fan), marine deep cycle battery and 12v LED string lights all powered by a 100W 12V Polycrystalline solar panel running through a 15Amp MPPT charge controller.  The panel is pole mounted and ties into the controller via 100ft of 10awg PV cable, charges the battery which is connected to the controller, and powers the loads (my fan and lights) which are also connected to the controller. However, in between the controller and my fan, I have a in-line 15amp fuse and a Snap Disc (Bimetal Disc Thermostat, 30 C, Auto-Reset Close-on-rise) which turns on the fan when the temp hits 30 C/86 F. I also have a DC/AC 500W inverter connected directly to the battery for when I need AC, a 1/4in tube misting/drip system for irrigation and a 30in x 60in freestanding solar can heater to keep things from freezing in the winter.

I paid $650 for EVERYTHING (materials only, my labor) listed above so I think you could do better on the price you paid but what you have will work for what you want to do. Just remember that the panel's output (not what it's rated for but what you actually get out of it give your location, it's placement, etc.) will determine what you can power, so you need some foresight to think of what you will need and how much power it will require to properly size your system.     

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!