Looking for specific install advice regarding SolarSheat 2-pack

76 Posts
Jan 18, 2011 09:25 am
Looking for specific install advice regarding SolarSheat 2-pack

I just purchased the twin-pack YSH SolarSheat (1500G+1500GS+install kit) air heater.  The instructions are... unclear, for lack of a better word.  Some details:
double-wide mobile (approx. 30'x72') home with long south-facing wall- room for multiple units!  All walls have plastic siding.

Questions:
1) should I cut the plastic siding away where the SolarSheat will go, or install it on top?  Seems like if I leave it in place, it would distort and possibly damage the siding it's on top of.

2) what size screws (#8, #10...) should I use for attaching the mounting brackets to the exterior wall?  It says to use your own screws, but leaves the rest to imagination.

3) are there pre-drilled holes in the mounting bracket for screw spacing?  If not, how far apart should the screws be placed?

4) I plan on installing the units sideways, so the PV module is not affected by the roof overhang in late fall and early spring.  Are there any special considerations to make for this kind of installation?

5) I have other areas of the south wall that I would like to install a pair of SolarSheat 1000's (don't have the 8' window-to-window width for a pair of 1500).  Can they be connected together like the 1500G+1500GS kit?  Can the fan be reversed on one of them, so they operate together in a push/pull configuration, controlled by a single thermostat, but powered by both PV modules?  Or alternatively, does YourSolarHome have plans for offering a 1000GS (no PV module or fan built in)?  I would just like to use a pair together for better heat gain, but having only TWO holes for each "set" rather than four (if they were paired up but acting independently).

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011 09:26 am by Travis McMillian »

22 Posts
Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am
Re: Looking for specific install advice regarding SolarSheat 2-pack

Travis,�  I can help you out.�  Every install is a bit unique, due to different surfaces, so it's hard for the installation manual to cover everything.

1) Depending on the siding, you may need to shim under the rails to make sure they are square to the SolarSheat.�  The foam gasket that goes around the holes is pretty flexible, but if it is on a non-flat surface, you may need to use spray foam to get a good seal, or as you suggested, cut more of the siding around the gasket to be up against a flat surface.�  Again, use spray foam as needed to make sure there are no leaks.

You can remove all of the siding under the SolarSheats and frame it in, here's a great picture of a sweet install of a SH1000 on its side, framed into the siding, http://yoursolarhome.com/solarsheat.com/solarsheat/pdf_solarsheat/SolarSheat1000G_Specs.pdf

2) Hard to say what size hardware based on what material it is screwing into.�  For my house, screwing into 2x4s, I used lag bolts, probably about 2" long, 1/4" diameter (sorry, it was a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly).

3) Because they have no idea where the studs will be to drill into, they can't pre-drill the holes in the mounting bracket.�  You'll need to drill the holes where they line up for you.�  Generally 4 holes, evenly spaced.

4) You can install it on its side (I did).�  You should use silicon caulking to seal around the knock out holes on the side to prevent water from seeping in.�  Even though they are not knocked out, since it is pre-cut, water could seep if not sealed.�  Rule of thumb to avoid shading, install 1 1/2 times below the overhang.�  So if the overhang comes out 1 foot, install it 1 1/2 feet below that.

5) Yes, the SH1000 has the knockout to connect to another one with a gasket set.�  We do have an AC version of the SH1000G, which doesn't have the PV panel, it is powered by plugging in the fan.�  You can get that one as your second and just use the PV fan on the first one (so you are not paying for the 2nd PV panel).�  They don't have plans to make a SH1000 without a fan, last I checked.

Give me a call if you have any other questions.

Amy Beaudet
Solar Thermal Queen
AltE Store
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015 05:23 pm by Amy Beaudet »

76 Posts
Jan 20, 2011 11:11 am

Amy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It looks like I won't be able to use the 2-pak in the location I had originally planned, however I can use the two 1500's independently of each other.  To use the 1500GS, I need to add a replacement PV/Fan head, exactly like the one in the 1500G, an additional duct kit and wall diffusers, thermostat, and landscape rail set.  Basically, I need to make my 1500GS into a 12" longer version of the 1500G.  Can you put together pricing on those items for me, and e-mail me with a quote (I just ordered the 1500G+GS kit, so you should have my info on file)?  Thanks.

-Travis
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am by Travis McMillian »

76 Posts
Aug 23, 2011 03:49 pm

Hi again Amy!

Here's what we did: I used the 1500G on the west (left, in the picture) area.�  The SolarSheat crosses over a wall, so it actually causes a good amount of air circulation back there, which is an additional benefit.�  The 1500GS (the other half of the two-pack) was used with the PV head from a 1000G, making a sort of "1750G"?�  That's in the center of the south wall, stretching across the living room, window to window.�  Talk about a tight fit!�  I couldn't just use a 1500G, though, because there's a decorative fireplace inside, and the vents would have been too close together.

The two units work great together.  We got them both installed by February, so we were able to get some cold-weather use out of them, but not a whole season.�  It'll be nice to see how much they take off our electric bill this winter.

http://www.virview.com/100004/files/solarsheat2-02.jpg

We have room for one more (1000G) on the house south wall.  It'll probably be next fall before we get it installed, though.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011 10:47 am by Travis McMillian »

22 Posts
Aug 29, 2011 01:08 pm

Travis!  Thank you so much for the update, I love it, it looks great.  I like the look of them horizontal (that's how I did mine too).  You know when you are really going to love them?  This fall.  When it's too early to turn on the heat, but still chilly out. I've been known to even keep the house windows open to get fresh air, while not having to worry about wasting heat, 'cause it's free.

Amy

76 Posts
Aug 29, 2011 02:57 pm

...You know when you are really going to love them?  This fall.  When it's too early to turn on the heat, but still chilly out. I've been known to even keep the house windows open to get fresh air, while not having to worry about wasting heat, 'cause it's free.

Amy
That's a great point.  We installed the first unit on the opposite end of the house from the HVAC.  It made the biggest temp difference, but the lowest impact on the heating bill (since the thermostat was rooms away, closer to the HVAC).  By the time we installed the second one in the living room, it was already getting close to March.  Even then, the difference was clear.  Now we'll be able to keep the windows open longer into the fall, too?  Yay!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!