Submersible hydro UW100 for sale

39 Posts
Oct 1, 2010 03:50 am
Submersible hydro UW100 for sale

For sale, 12VDC submersible hydro, up to 8A or 100
W peak output.Small, propeller-driven (prop about the size of an outboard motor prop; unit only about the size of a basketball).� Tons of extra parts.� Brand new, I just tried it once in our river and realized I don't have sufficient water current for significant output. Sad�  See details where I bought it: http://www.absak.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/33_89_90/products_id/3�  .�  If you're interested, let's talk prices.�  I can't use it, so I hope someone can! -Matt
« Last Edit: Oct 1, 2010 03:57 am by Matthew Edelen »

Nov 6, 2010 03:37 pm
Re: Submersible hydro UW100 for sale

Hi  Am interested in your uw 100----how much are you asking for it? ---Shipping conditions etc .--michael.

39 Posts
Nov 9, 2010 02:59 am

Hey Michael, I've got this unit with me in New Guinea.  I should be able to arrange to get it back to the U.S. if you're in the U.S. and you're serious.  Otherwise, let me know if you're somewhere else in the world.  I'd like to email you the original invoice so you can see how much I paid for everything.  It's still brand new, only been used for a few minutes when I tried it out in my river but the water speed just wasn't fast enough (my estimate of the water speed was wrong).  So when you see how much I paid for it, I figure we can figure out a reasonable price.  I'd rather not post my email address on here, but I might have to. I'll see what I can do.

39 Posts
Nov 9, 2010 03:04 am

Ok, check out my profile. My email address is on there.  Looking forward to your email.  -Matt

Nov 9, 2010 01:34 pm

Hi Mathew. Do not understand what you mean by profile---basically have small funds---looking to buy unit at half price---please keep it simple. michael.

462 Posts
Nov 9, 2010 04:45 pm

Matthew, if you don't sell it perhaps you can make it work by constructing a narrowing channel, eg. wood, dirt or concrete, in which you can install the hydro unit. Take water from up stream, direct it into a wide channel, narrow the channel over a distance and install the unit in an appropriate size box at the narrow end of the channel. The water's velocity should increase through the channel.

Q = V x A ...  volume flow rate (gal/min) = Velocity (ft/s) x Area (ft^2) 

or V = Q / A

you should be able to estimate the volume flow rate of the stream and manipulate the area of the channel to get the desired velocity.

351 Posts
Nov 9, 2010 07:15 pm

Michael, if you click on Matthew's name at the top of one of his posts, it will take you to his profile.  His e-mail appears on that page.

Tom,
Velocity (ft/s) x Area (ft^2)= volume flow rate (ft^3/s), not (gal/min).
If you want gpm, you have to multiply the cubic feet per second by 448.83 to obtain gpm.

Matthew, Where in PNG are you ?
« Last Edit: Nov 9, 2010 07:20 pm by ken hall »

462 Posts
Nov 9, 2010 10:06 pm

...or multiply gpm by 1 ft^3 / 7.5 gal...and by 1 min / 60 s..should have added that i guess...but I assume most people dealing with this technology understand units....just making a suggestion for a solution. I'm not going to do all the work...besides, an answer with a staggering factor of 450 should raise some questions and hopefully cause one to double check their math...and usually most instruction manuals will have a conversion or chart based on gpm.....   
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2010 05:45 pm by Tom Mayrand »

39 Posts
Dec 18, 2010 02:18 am

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas.  Problem is I don't have any elevation drop, and when I tried constructing a water trough, even with 12' long sides angled like a V toward the unit, I could still only get about half-power.  That was still unrealistic, since frequent heavy rains cause a large fluctuation in river level, as well as sending debris along the river.  I've racked my brain on this one, and I think our river is just too slow I'm convinced.  I took a risk in buying this during one of my (rare) trips back to the U.S., and unfortunately mis-estimated our river velocity.  Who said set up a water wheel and gear it up?  Yeah, possible.  Still have issues with erosion and the large fluctuation of river level (can be 10' overnight).  But I'm enjoying my solar panels in the mean time!  Much less maintenance...

39 Posts
Dec 18, 2010 02:19 am

Hey Ken, I'm on the Western half of New Guinea, across the border from PNG into the next country...

39 Posts
Dec 18, 2010 02:22 am

Sorry man, hoping to get more than half for it. It's still brand new...

462 Posts
Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am

Matthew, when you say 12' sides, do you mean you only went 12 feet from the unit? Did you just use some 12 foot pieces of lumber or something? At what angle did you have the V or how far apart were the two ends, can you estimate the velocity of the flow and how deep the water is entering the V? If you can get the unit up to half power with just this small setup it shouldn't take much more to bring it to full power.
  I assumed you would start about 100 feet up stream, so if you are getting half power with just 12 feet that's pretty good. Just use the math I gave you earlier.
 Another idea is to build a diversion into a small pool/reservoir upstream. Then you can filter the debris from the stream going into the reservoir. Use this reservoir as the feed into some PVC pipe or your channel.

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010 09:59 am by Tom Mayrand »

351 Posts
Dec 21, 2010 02:52 pm

The UW100 is the old "Jackrabbit" generator. Its performance curves are optimistic, particularly when you are trying to use it in a river.  It does somewhat better when mounted on a towed barge.

Bottom line is that he would need to get the flow up to about 3 meters a second to get about 60 watts, and something close to 5 m/s for 90 watts. Depending on that rivers flow rate, the effort/cost is probably not worth it. 

It sounds like he is in the lowlands of Irian Jaya (aka West Papua). Based on PNG lowland rivers, I am guessing that he is starting with a flow of l meter/second, or less.

I think Matthew is probably making the right decision to cut his losses.

462 Posts
Dec 21, 2010 05:20 pm

If you do the math:
 At 1m/s, an area of 6ft x 2ft will supply 1750 gal/min or 40 ft^3/s.

Narrowing this down to a 3 ft x 2 ft area still pushing 1750 gal/min will give you 2m/s.

Drop the area down to 2ft x 2ft gives 3m/s.

Then to the minimum area needed for this unit, around 16 inches square, will give you the 4 m/s needed to reach the desired 8 amp output.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 06:36 pm by Tom Mayrand »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!