PMA wild voltage output.

Jun 20, 2010 05:36 pm
PMA wild voltage output.

OK I'm a newbie to wind power and have a basic question. Looking at the Windblue PMA's it states that on the 520 model that it reaches 12 Volts output at just 130 RPM and the voltage keeps going up from there. Makes over 350 Volts at 2500 RPM. I believe max amps are 15. If the DC breakers are 150v 30 amp breakers, amps are fine but is the breaker rated to low for voltage? In other words will a very windy day spike the voltage and trip the breaker due to high volts causing the PMA to be disconnected, spinning no load and shortly after going boom. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2010 05:38 pm by Philip Giammatteo »

220 Posts
Jun 23, 2010 11:18 pm
Re: PMA wild voltage output.

hi philip,

what happens here with these alternators and generators when they are connected to a bank of batteries... is that they become "coupled" to the voltage of the battery and don't rise much above that. in a 12 volt system we won't see voltages much above 16vdc or so. the key here is to ALWAYS have the generation source connected to the battery to hold the voltage down to the battery level and keep it (the mill) under our control.

so the battery keeps our wind turbine under control and a charge controller keeps the battery voltage controlled.

hope that eases some of the concerns as far as open circuit voltages..i'll try to restrain myself in commenting about windblue pma's and companys that tout open circuit voltages and short circuit amps information as being important in some way.

welcome to a fun hobby.

dave

edit: oops! we should have mentioned the bridge rectifers as well, it (the rectifer) chops the ac voltage up into plus and minus pluses (a real rough dc) and then it goes to the battery.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 01:42 am by david ames »

Jun 24, 2010 09:10 pm

Thanks, now things are starting to make sense.

1 Posts
Nov 1, 2010 10:15 pm

Philip

My experience with wind powered turbine battery charging is that if the generator is going to charge say a 12v. battery and the amp rating of the full output of the generator is 15 amps I would need a 15 amp dc breaker rated at 16 or up to 24v.This higher voltage rating is due to the charging voltages being above 12v.The type of generating system that you are looking in to is probably a permant magnet type and will need a shunt type voltage regulator running to a dump load.With this type of regulator the rpm.can still go up higher but the charging voltage will still stay in a 13 to 15 volt rang depending on whether you are doing a regular battery charge or at 15 volts for an occasional equalize charge.

Mike
« Last Edit: Nov 1, 2010 10:34 pm by Mike Miles »

2 Posts
Jan 2, 2011 01:02 am

Thanks, now things are starting to make sense.
Looking for an ex-Navy guy with your same name. Originally from NY

Jan 4, 2011 09:07 pm

Hi Dave, I am from NY and I served on the USS Virginia from 89 to 93.

2 Posts
Jan 4, 2011 09:15 pm

Skidoc1 @ earthlink.net
Contact me privately.

26 Posts
Jan 5, 2011 08:46 am

I'm Dave C also from NY. Never served. I guess we have two Dave C's on the board.

1 Posts
Dec 7, 2011 10:42 pm

Phil, It's Edmond Lococo here. I've been trying to contact you from Beijiing but I think possibly all of my contacts for you are out of date. Could you shoot me a line: edmond AT lococo DOT org and let me know how I can reach you? Hope the family is well. Take care and hope to talk to you soon.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!