Alt-E SOLARVOYAGER ™ Gold PV RV KIT

6 Posts
Jun 8, 2010 11:42 pm
Alt-E SOLARVOYAGER ™ Gold PV RV KIT

Anyone have any experience with this kit?  Using the calculators here, it will meet my needs on my RV.  You guys that know what your are doing, does this kit make sense?  Thanks

6 Posts
Jun 17, 2010 09:37 pm
Re: Alt-E SOLARVOYAGER ™ Gold PV RV KIT

OK, I got the kit but without any detailed instructions, I'm a little lost with the 15a DC breakers.  Should I wire the controller between the breakers to provide a DC disconnect 1. between the PV and the controller and 2. between the controller and the battery bank?  Need help quick- headed for the mountains soon!  Thanks

220 Posts
Jun 17, 2010 10:30 pm

hey tim,

did you have a look at this line sketch?

try to keep the wire runs as short as possible. we cut
that long mc connector in half to plug into the pv module and then cut it again when we get to the controller.

i'd be tempted to go a bit heavier with the wire for the short run from the controller to the battery bank..could do parallel runs of that #10 if it's all thats available. in any case try to get the controller as close to the bank as possible and keep the wire run SHORT.

have fun in the mountains!

cheers, dave

6 Posts
Jun 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks!  I didn't find that one but I did find a similar one that included 3 breakers and an inverter.  That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. 

6 Posts
Jul 6, 2010 10:32 pm

I finally got my system installed and working-kind of.  I mounted a second battery on the RV as well- (not sure if that's the problem or not.)  I used the #10 wire from the PV to the controller and then ran #6 wire from the controller to the battery (about 10')  System output on a relatively sunny afternoon shows about 5.5 amps and the indicator lights on the BZ Model M20+ indicated full charge at sundown.  I have a battery disconnect to isolate the battery (and now the PV system) from the converter/charger. After resting overnight with the isolation switch open, the indicators show about a 25% drop in voltage?  The batteries were purchased on the same day early this spring but only 1 was actually mounted- the other one has been carried as a spare and only used a couple of times.  2 questions- first, is it possible the batteries are in significantly different conditions in just a few months with different operating conditions and would that cause what I am seeing?  Next is how do I "equalize" the batteries with either the PV controller or my Zantrek (sp?) charger?  I see how I can adjust the float voltage but that won't give me a high enough voltage for equalization will it?  This project is really starting to cut into my fishing time- thanks for the help.

220 Posts
Jul 7, 2010 05:47 pm

hey tim,

the wiring and the 5.5 amps output sounds very good!

a bit confused on the "25% drop in voltage"? are we talking about going from 14.1v to 10.6v (that would be bad) or are you referring to the 4 stage LED display? from 4 lights to 3 lights (no worries there)..

we are not sure what you have for batteries or what model xantrex charger/inverter you have. so hard to offer much on that. if we have the flooded lead acid kind with caps that let us add distilled water to them then we can equalize them by raising the charge voltage to about 15.5v for a few hours..(the standard advice to follow manufacturers recommendations apply)..

i'd let the system run for a week or two and do more fishing if i were you! (as long as we are not talking about the 10.5v scenario from above)

my money is on things are fine and you may be just worried about that fourth little led..and it may take a little time for those batteries to get used to working..in that regard i'd run things a bit, use some power and see how it does!

happy to talk more about the batteries and the inverter/charger with more info. can probably crank the M20 up to 15.5 volts for a while if we have to...oh! did that M20 come with a temp sensor? and do you have it installed?

also depending on your battery(s) we may want the float setting at a different (higher) setting..the M20 comes set at 14.1v, i run mine at a 14.4v setting for a bank of group 27 batteries and higher still for a bank made up of six volt trojan batteries (14.6) and much lower on some sealed valve regulated batteries (13.8 )..

cheers, dave

6 Posts
Jul 7, 2010 08:03 pm

Yep, the LEDs are what I was referring to.  I think the voltage actually indicated about 12.2v.  After looking, not sure my converter is a Xantrex?? It is the 45 amp conversion from Best Converter.  The batteries are group 27.  The M20 does have a temp sensor but it's too short to reach the battery.  I figured splicing the lead was not an option so I have it run out under the floor near the battery support so it actually is only reading ambient temp- not the batttery temp.  I'll tell the wife you suggest going fishing to help make the system work- that's my kind of advice!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!