Multiple MPPT loads for PV panel -- bad idea?

Jun 15, 2009 04:34 pm
Multiple MPPT loads for PV panel -- bad idea?

Hi all,

I am designing a solar heating system for a hot tub and I am contemplating using a 135W PV panel with two loads -- one an ecocirc pump (22W max) with MPPT -- and the other, a MPPT charge controller with a variable load of 14 to 36W.  I need the charge controller to regulate voltage to 12V for some downstream electronics.  I may eventually want to charge a battery with it as well. 

The question is, if I wire the two MPPT devices in parallel, will they drive each other nuts?  Will they share power proportional to their respective loads?

Thanks in advance!

578 Posts
Jun 15, 2009 05:56 pm
Re: Multiple MPPT loads for PV panel -- bad idea?

if i understand you correctly, you are trying to run a load from an mppt charge controller without a battery in the system?

i dont think that will work.  the controller will need to see a battery, and the battery should be wired in before the pv.

once you put the battery in, you can put run the pump off of it with a switch or dc timer, and the same for the unknown variable load. 

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Jun 16, 2009 01:57 pm

James,

I was looking at this charge controller: http://store.altestore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Solar-Converters-Charge-Controllers/Solar-Converters-PT-1224-10TC1224V-MPPT-Charge-Contlr/p1369/
According to the literature, it has this feature:
"Regulates output at float level even without batteries connected (or bad batteries)"
But that's okay; I will need a battery for nighttime operation.  I had simply hoped to avoid putting one in to start since it adds complexity.

The trouble with running the pump off the battery is that its speed will not be linked to the amount of sunlight available.  For solar water heating applications I think it better to run the water more slowly through the collectors when there is less sunlight, hence getting higher heat gain per pass.

But that does not answer my original question -- will two MPPT controllers work properly if wired in parallel?

Thanks,
Alice

578 Posts
Jun 16, 2009 03:16 pm

ahh, you ruined my general response with a specific outlier.  I should know better than to assume. 

two mppt controllers would work in parallel. each connected to its own pv, serving same battery.

two of the circ pumps can work from one pv source (assuming enough power).

what i dont know is how one pv direct pump and one mppt controller would work together tied to the same module.  that i have not tried, nor had anyone i knew when i asked.

i understand what you are saying with the pv direct setup, but being that (if you do mean a laing) you are hitting it with a pv sledgehammer of 4x its required wattage, the battery would likely have the same affect in terms of run speed(excepting the obvious absence of daylight at night).  the running at night issue can be resolved with a dc timer or switch if you wanted to run everything off the battery baseline.

anyone out there tried what alice is after?

good luck,

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009 03:39 pm by James Cormican »

Jun 16, 2009 06:56 pm

Thanks for the great reply, James.  Most informative.

I realized today that I am only talking about ~$40 difference for two 50W PV panels versus one 135W PV panel (2 50W are $40 more than one 135W -- go figure).  So now you know how cheap I am. 

But if I changed my design and had one 50W panel dedicated to the Laing ecocirc pump (22W) and the other 50W panel dedicated to running a 12V charge controller for my battery I could happily run my 12V loads off the battery and everything will be fine.  That's the way I am leaning at the moment, unless anyone out there can save me $40!

Enjoy,
Alice

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!