Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???

6 Posts
Jun 15, 2009 12:48 am
Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???

I have seen a considerable amount of discussion on some sites that I consider reputable, on how to home-build solar hot-water panels for considerably less cost than commercial glazed panels, and delivering nearly the same efficiency.

Knowing that MA tends to be more anal about codes than many other states, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions about putting home-built panels on the roof?  What sort of extra permitting / inspection hassles would I be needing to worry about?

(I know that home built panels would probably not be eligible for the stolen property (AKA tax) rebates that commercial stuff is, but from what I've seen it makes no sense to pay several thousand $ more in order to get only a few thousand in money back... (Plus we are likely to be spending more than needed to get the maximum allowed rebates on other improvements...)

6 Posts
Jun 21, 2009 12:52 am
Re: Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???

bump...

Jun 21, 2009 05:09 pm
Re: Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???

Ya, codes can be a hassle sometimes. Its for a good reason though. I think it has something to do with the "Riot Act." You know, "If we let one person do it then everybody will want to do it and the next thing you know we have a riot on our hands." I am not sure how its on MA but in NC they all fall into the hands of "the Authority having Jurisdiction."
Even national codes.
Which is to say a city inspector might have a different perspective than a county inspector and so on and so forth.
Even city to city. A metropolitan area might stricter on somethings than a smaller city.
A local contractor would be able to answer your questions better I think. Hold on... That darn cat keeps getting out of the bag. Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, contractors of all sorts here in NC must be licensed and have there work permitted and inspected so they would know better than most what the inspector(s) may or may not allow. I am thinking the same is true in MA.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f50/ma-building-codes-59751/
Good luck!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!