effects of shading on solar panels

1 Posts
Dec 21, 2002 09:26 pm
effects of shading on solar panels

I've heard there are panels that shut down when partically shaded and panels that remain active when partically shaded.  Explain please. Lamp

39 Posts
Apr 22, 2003 02:03 pm
Re: effects of shading on solar panels

even when shaded PV panels will produce voltages within their rating ,12-18 V, all they need is light to operate. The intensity of the light will vary the current output and thus the total watts coming from the panel...

1 Posts
Aug 19, 2004 08:25 am
Re: Solar panal

Hi!

Im doing a research on solar panal effects of shading as well. To my knowledge, there must be bypass diodes for shading effects but the theory behind, Im still not very sure. Whether anot they shut off, is it possible if there is a circuit breaker behind so that as long as the panal did not get the full solar rays, it will shut down?
Anyone out there would like to share the purpose of blocking diodes and bypass diodes as well?

Cheers

7 Posts
Oct 8, 2004 01:22 pm
Re: Solar panal

>Hi!
>Im doing a research on solar panal
>effects of shading as well. To
>my knowledge, there must be bypass
>diodes for shading effects but the
>theory behind, Im still not very
>sure. Whether anot they shut off,
>is it possible if there is
>a circuit breaker behind so that
>as long as the panal did
>not get the full solar rays,
>it will shut down? Anyone out
>there would like to share the
>purpose of blocking diodes and bypass
>diodes as well?
>Cheers

If this is not too late ...

From what I know, blocking diodes are used to prevent current backflow at night, when the PV end up becoming a load. They are sometimes built-in for some higher wattage panels but not for lower wattage ones, though they can be installed by the user between the PV (+ve output cable) and the +ve end of the battery or charge controller input... though most if not all charge controllers would have a blocking diode built in at the PV input already.

Bypass diodes are most, if not always, built-in. They link the PV panels and allow the PV to output current even when it is partially shaded. When a PV is partially shaded, the shaded cells end up having higher impedence (resistance) and would pull down the overall voltage and current. It is called "bypass" diode by virtue that the diodes allow the shaded cells to be bypassed so that the remaining unshaded cells continue to work and produce the same voltage, albeit with slightly lower current than a full unshaded PV. Although the output current is slightly lower, it is still higher than if the shaded cell is added in the loop without a bypass.

Granted, it would also depend on how the PV is being shaded. If there are 24 cells in the PV, and 12 are fully shaded, then it is considered 50% shaded right? But if all 24 cells are half shaded ... the bypass would not work at all. Since all the cells are equally hampered. In such scenario, I am not sure how well a PV with built-in bypass would outperform one without.

Apr 25, 2006 07:38 pm
effect of shading on solar panels

i will briefly like to know the effect of shading on solar panels and its perfomance at these varying conditions

Jul 4, 2006 01:07 am
Re: effects of shading on solar panels

Wow! This is an old one, post that is, but what the hay.
Take a good look at any PV module and you can see that it is made up of individual cells. Some modules let you see just how they are soldered together in series/parallel. Just for example: One cell may only have an output of 0.1 amps at 9 volts. So if 36 of them are "wired" in parallel the amperage increases to 3.6 while the voltage stays the same. If a second "string" of cells is "wired" to the first in series then the amperage stays the same and the voltage doubles. Now we have 72 cells wired in series/parallel for a combined putput of 3.6 amps at 18 volts. So now maybe one can see that if a PV module is partically shaded its output will diminish. Its like removing cells from the strings. What diode do are to isolate one string from another because the one in the Sun will "drive" the one in the shade.

1 Posts
Aug 26, 2006 03:39 am
Re: effect of shading on solar panels

i will briefly like to know the effect of shading on solar panels and its perfomance at these varying conditions

[im pretty sure if there is alot of shade these pvs  will not be as convenient so we should probably start cutting down trees and clouds at will/quote]

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!