One diversion controller for Wind and Solar

8 Posts
Apr 8, 2009 10:05 am
One diversion controller for Wind and Solar

I have heard conflicting statements from a number of sources. I have yet to get a clear answer, just personal preferences with no explanation.

1) Some say... Systems that have Wind Turbines and Solar modules (with blocking diodes) can use the same diversion controller if the diversion controller can handle the max current.

2) Some say... Oh no! You must use separate controllers.

I'm interested to see what this community has to say. It's helpful to explain why you feel the way you do so we all can benefit from this forum.

Thank You.

578 Posts
Apr 8, 2009 10:54 am
Re: One diversion controller for Wind and Solar

i will dive into this one.  this to me is a case of can and should.

can you use a diversion controller for both solar and wind? yes.  it would go after battery and only control based on voltage.  it is likely that solar and wind together could easily go over what one diversion load controller would handle.  it is also likely that installing all those blocking diodes would be a pain, and, would increase voltage drop.  the code will require duplicate controllers in case of failure when controlling in a diversion fashion.

the reason that controlling them differently makes sense because they are different in how they operate.  the other advantage is that many solar controllers are very efficient these days, and besides being able to come in at higher voltage than the battery bank (mppt), just about all of them can prevent reverse current, which removes the need for external blocking diodes that increase voltage drop.  even a pwm controller will outperform a module wired straight to the battery.

hope that helps,

james
altE staff

other than saving the few hundred bucks reason, i would not use a one controller solution.  I think that a two controller solution would provide better controlling and save the hassle of hardwiring blocking diodes. 

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

8 Posts
Apr 8, 2009 01:19 pm
Re: One diversion controller for Wind and Solar

Awesome!

Great and very educational reply, Thanks!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!