NEC 2008 code manual

220 Posts
Apr 4, 2009 01:56 am
NEC 2008 code manual

hi folks,

as a textbook requirement for a continuing education class i need to pick up a 2008 edition of the nec by nfpa. sounds simple enough, but when i looked into it there seems to be so many different versions! softcover, hardcover, looseleaf, tradepaper? has anyone worked with these code books? if so which one do you find best for ease of use? is there any difference in the content?

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-9780877657903-1

anyone know of better sources ($)?

thanks for any input, dave

351 Posts
Apr 4, 2009 02:52 am
Re: NEC 2008 code manual

Dave

The code is the same regardless of the cover.  But the hardbound edition has explanation articles of the new sections, diagrams and photos that help clarify it. It is about twice as thick as the soft cover.

The spiral bound edition seemed to work best for me. You can fold it over on itself. The pages don't turn by themselves when you let go of it. Easier to carry into the field, etc. But that was when I was working out of it.  The Hardcover might be best for your class, studying, or a desk only reference.

You can get the hardcover new for $110 at Amazon. They also have some used. The softcover is $75. I didn't see the spiral bound.

Ken

220 Posts
Apr 4, 2009 12:12 pm

thanks ken.

sounds like the hardcover is the way to go for me. then keep it as a desk reference when done. (i think there is still a desk under here somewhere)!

cheers, dave

578 Posts
Apr 4, 2009 08:03 pm

I strongly recommend the handbook edition.  it is the light blue one that is hardcover.  it is usually around $110, but worth it to me as it has color pics and notes and explanations not found in the other editions.  if you are studying solar, i can give you other links to very useful code documents from john wiles. 

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

220 Posts
Apr 5, 2009 10:48 pm

thanks james,

i've been following mr. wiles code corner in homepower and this is where playing with pv systems stops being all fun and games (for me anyhow). but a necessary step to move closer to a possible career change. any extra information that may help in preparation would be appreciated.(303 with mr. laforge)

either via this forum or by email
dave edited @ sbcglobal.net
or with an appointment at your home base in hudson.

thanks and cheers, dave

edit: 5/2 removed valid email.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2009 06:28 pm by david ames »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!