Inverter to Subpanel wiring – hot/hot

8 Posts
Apr 2, 2009 04:21 pm
Inverter to Subpanel wiring – hot/hot

Should an inverter feeding a lone subpanel feed both sides of the buss (as 220 would) then go though 2 breakers to the 110 outlet?

The fact that each side of the inverter has 60v seems that it should be protected at the panel on both legs... Right?

351 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 01:35 am
Re: Inverter to Subpanel wiring – hot/hot

The simple answer to your question is NO.

I think you had better tell us the make and model of your inverter and why you think it outputs 60Vac.

8 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 09:56 am

The simple answer to your question is NO.

I think you had better tell us the make and model of your inverter and why you think it outputs 60Vac.

Please excuse my question if it sounds goofy, I am new to wiring ac inverters into isolated sub-panels but have never seen any real discussion on this subject...

As I understand all 110v inverters swing the AC at the ground point 0v on the inverter making 60v per side equaling 120v. I have verified this with a multi-meter and scope. I guess this is why you never attach the neutral to a point on the breaker box where it bonds with ground. Both sides (black and white) are hot.

I have 2 110 output inverters... a dinosaur Trace Model 810 and a modern Ames 1250. Both swing the output voltage 60v+/- hot/neutral from ground equaling 120v.

If a breaker or fuse was not on the neutral line at the box there would be no protection if the 60v neutral side would short to ground it would energize the chassis. Right? (hopefully the inverter would shut down, but...)

Here's would be a real world example:
If there was an inverter connected to a off-grid sub panel (/w neutral isolated from ground) wired as if we were using standard ac (1 breaker on the black wire), lets say the inverter was not turned off and you just flipped off the hot breaker to do some electrical maintenance, wouldn't you get a 60v AC shock on the neutral?

It's confusing to me and why I asked the original question.

Thanks for the reply!
Bently

351 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 10:59 am

OK, you have half voltage scheme inverters. They are intended for use as plug in or stand alone devices. They are never to be hardwired into an AC system. The manuals should contain the warning that it never be hard wired.

You need to get a full voltage inverter before trying to hard wire it.

8 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for the reply!

Any idea on which inverters are full voltage inverters? I've done a search on altE and haven't come up with one that specifically says "full voltage inverter".

The trace I have has the ability to be hard wired, but it still has the hot neutral.

I guess the best bet is to get an inverter that has a 220 output and wire it code.

Thanks,
Bently

351 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 09:48 pm

They may not say that it is a full voltage scheme. But you can ask that question. Or ask if it is NEC (national electric code) approved.  Half voltage schemes are not NEC approved.  Almost any full sine wave inverter will be full voltage.

Another thing you can ask about or look for in the US is the UL approval. If it is UL458, it is definately a half voltage inverter.

Don't even consider trying to get a 220V half voltage scheme and wire it up.

8 Posts
Apr 3, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks Ken.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!