Solar hot water heater

1 Posts
Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am
Solar hot water heater

Has anyone installed a solar hot water heater? If so, how do you like it? Is it reliable? How is maintenance on it? What about if you have to replace your roof, what do you do? And specifically, if anyone has advice pertaining to Jacksonville (good installers, etc), that would be great. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

9 Posts
Mar 11, 2009 10:25 am
Re: Solar hot water heater

Daniel,
      I installed a drainback solar water heater system on my house about 18 months ago, I like it and it works great when the sun is out. Does not run much in December and January. I have strainers in the heat exchanger that i checked once and they were clear. I use a four gallon portable water heater unplugged with distilled water in it. heat exchanger has two pumps, one for the drain back tank and one for the 40 gallon water tank. I did alot of research before I got what I wanted. I replaced my old roof as I installed the panel. Use flexable copper water heater replacement pipe which can be disconnected under roof if you must re-roof. As far as installer cannot help you much since I did my own , but i did check around and got quotes from $3200 to $6000 for a retro fit drainback  system. Posted some pictures if you are interested. Tax breaks are good. Good luck

22 Posts
Apr 15, 2009 04:54 pm

Daniel, here's a stat on the MassSave website I just found that may be interesting to you. 

"More than 1.5 million homes and businesses in the United States have invested in solar water heating systems, and surveys indicate that more than 94% of these customers consider the systems a good investment."

You happen to live in the city that makes excellent solar water heaters, AET.  According to the NABCEP web site, there is a certified installer in your city as well, http://www.nabcep.org/installer-locator?state=FL.

There is very little maintenance required on a solar water heating system, mostly once in a while make sure it's making hot water by checking the meter.  If your roof is close to needing a replacement, even within a number of years, do it first!  The collectors will last for decades, and while it is possible to remove them to replace the roof, it makes more sense to do the roof first.

Amy Beaudet
AltE Store

19 Posts
Apr 25, 2009 10:10 pm

I just designed, built, and installed a 40 gallon batch heater about 10 days ago.  Our regular propane water heater was burning through money 24/7/365, to the tune of $1200+ last year.  Since hooking up the batch heater (which 'preheats' for the old propane heater, which is relegated to 'backup' and storage now) the propane heater barely comes on at all now.  Woohoo!

Total cost for the batch heater and plumbing to hook it all up...less than $300.  Break even cost will be in 3 months [actually it was immediate, since it costs $300+ to fill the propane company's 120 gal (rental) tank at approx $3.50 per gal for propane, and bought my own 23 gal propane tank instead ($124)].

But that pales in comparison to the cost of converting the skeptical wife over to the benefits of going renewable.  Priceless.

I should do a website.  Anybody interested?

19 Posts
Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Remove my 'membership' please.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2009 08:13 pm by fred flintstone »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!