Air-X 12 V

7 Posts
Nov 25, 2002 08:29 am
Air-X 12 V

I have a brand new, in box, Air-x 12V that I would like to swap for a 24V Air-x.

1 Posts
Dec 1, 2002 06:48 pm
Re: Air-X 12 V

Craig

Why are you switching to the 24V? I am looking to buy a 12V Air-X 12V. None to trade sorry...

7 Posts
Dec 2, 2002 11:38 am

I initially was going to set up a 12v system but I acquired a 3,500 watt inverter that needs 24v.  Also my PVs are going to be some distance from my batteries and wiring them for 24v would reduce the resistive loss in the line.  My tower for the wind genny is close to the house so I am not as concerned about line loss.  If I can't find a taker for my 12v Air-x, I will still use it but add a 12/24v battery equalizer to balance the bank.

This unit never left the box.  If interested, I will ship this unit free and let it go for $500 and I'll just order a 24v from Alt-e.

Thanks

6 Posts
Dec 15, 2002 07:38 am

Craig

I am very interested in your air -x. I do have a question posted that I have yet to hear a response on. Because I live in a residential track I am curious how much noise the unit will create? Any ideas? I just want to make the neighbors upset!
Shawn

7 Posts
Dec 16, 2002 07:37 am

I never had it up, but according to the specifications it is supposed to be their quietest design yet.  I have seen similar units (marine) on sailboats and never heard a thing.  Typically, by the time the blades are spinning fast enough to be heard, the background noise, leaves rustling, etc., drowns out any noise the genny is causing.  Let me know what you think.  It is a great genny, very nice design.  My tower is now up and am waiting for good weather to put it (or a 24v unit) up.  Thanks!

7 Posts
Dec 16, 2002 03:42 pm

I found this text on a web site regarding the Air-X - I hope this helps you a bit:

The new electronics exclusive to the AIR-X are a considerable improvement over the previoius AIR 403 controller that consisted of a simple diode rectification, on/off voltage switch. To you, the customer this means:

Much Quieter Operation: Previous AIR wind modules relied on their aero-elastic blade design for protection in high winds, causing a loud flutter nioise in winds much above 35 miles per hour (16 m/s). The AIR-X's control circuitry monitors the wind speed and slows the blades as it reaches its rated output preventing it from going into "flutter". This results in a much quieter wind turbine. In high winds the AIR-X will continue to produce power at a reduced level until the wind speed decreases, at which point the maximum output will be restored.

6 Posts
Dec 21, 2002 05:56 am

Craig

What is your phone # ? or you can email me directly at slessord @ rochester.rr.com to discuss. Thanks

2 Posts
Dec 22, 2002 04:16 pm

Did I understand you WANT to upset your neighbors?  Well then, the small, faster spinning units will make more noise.  Larger units spin slower thus making less noise.  I rode through the Altamont pass in CA and discovered I couldn't hear their roters but could hear a low, heavy moan from the monster generators.  Surprising!  Home Power #90 (August/September) has an excellent comparison article.  Air-X wasn't listed but the comparison would be useful.  

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one just to gain personal experience.  Alas, appartments don't take kindly to such things.

6 Posts
Dec 23, 2002 05:56 pm

No, I really have good neighbors and want to keep the peace! I have heard that if the wind turbine is turning due to high winds then so is the trees, bushes,etc so that will dround out the sound of the turbine. The air-x has a built in unit that shuts it down in high winds so not to cause flutter. I am going to buy one and I will let you know. Regards

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!