Li-ion for storage

10 Posts
Jan 7, 2009 05:14 pm
Li-ion for storage

Can Li-ion batteries be used or does anybody have a small setup that uses Li-ion (example:laptop battery).

33 Posts
Jan 9, 2009 05:29 pm
Re: Li-ion for storage

No. Li-ion makes too much heat during charging. Here's how it would work out. Making big lithium Ion batteries for houses would work great for a few years. Then seaking more profit the manufacturers would start assembling the chargers and controllers in malaysia. Temp sensors would start failing and people would come home to blown up or burned down houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWq6rWzChw

10 Posts
Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Funny video but, all Hybrid Car in the US for 2010 are going to use Li-ion.  Why not use them for Solar/Wind power?

33 Posts
Jan 12, 2009 04:06 pm

Because they aren't good for solar systems. Hybrid cars won't use lithium ion batteries. They will be used in phones, laptops, blackberries, rechargeable power tools and that's it. If it scaled up easily it would have scaled up by now. If it needs a breakthrough then who knows when.

They explode at 194 degrees farenheit and if they get undervolted once they will never charge again. They MIGHT adapt to cars I can't say for sure. They are the only battery that's more efficient to charge than lead acid. But if everyone is putting them in cars you can be certain homes won't see them for a long time just from manufacturing capacities.

If car makers put smaller cells and rely heavily on attachable generators and small solar charging panels for range it might work. If they try to put huge monsterous packs in them with payback 10 years down the road I don't think it will work.

I can tell you right now any car that shoots for more than 25 mile unassisted range won't make it because none ever have.

10 Posts
Jan 12, 2009 05:33 pm

This week at the Detroit Auto Show new hybrid models use Li-ion.  Here is a list that I have found:

The MercedesS400 BlueHybrid lithium ion battery
BYD China lithium iron phosphate cells
Toyota Prius Solar Panels and lithium ion.
Chevy Volt li-ion
Cadilla Converj li-ion
Tesla 6,300 laptop cells
Johnson Controls unveiled its re3 air-cooled, 96-cell, 22 Ah Li-ion battery pack

and a press release rom GM:

General Motors Corp. (GM) will establish the first lithium-ion battery-pack factory operated by a major auto maker in the U.S. to produce battery pack systems for its Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric car.

I think it will be soon the Li-ion batteries will be a common part in the auto industry.

10 Posts
Jan 22, 2009 11:15 pm

update:

here is a link to a battery company and their solar products:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=839

note that their charge controller is 11.1 v

220 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 01:56 am

hi tony,

the link you provided has the highest capacity li-ion battery packs i've seen. before they will even sell you one you have to fill out a waiver and explain your intended use as well as charge and discharge intentions. looks well made..each module enclosed in an explosion proof box with all electronic controls inside. looks like for about $2,500 someone could put together a true 100ah bank (@11vdc) that might compare to a 500ah bank of lead cycled to  %20.

are you thinking of taking the plunge?

happy hunting, dave

-don't think much of those flexable pv modules, seems like more of a speciality item, like for backpacking or G.I. use.

edit: looks like that $2,500. 100ah bank was for the 37vdc nominal. the 11vdc bank would be even "less" expensive.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2009 12:37 pm by david ames »

33 Posts
Feb 4, 2009 01:41 am

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article5648440.ece

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!