Now what?

2 Posts
Dec 28, 2008 11:56 am
Now what?

I salvaged a solar panel from an electric fence; now what?

I'm not looking for much, maybe a yard light or string of Christmas lights and learn in the process.

The panel is 6v and, in original equipment, charged a 12v battery.

How can I put this to use and learn in the process?

I'm NOT a technician, I'm an artist so be kind.

19 Posts
Dec 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Now what?

If you can provide a bit more information, perhaps we can help. Is there a label on the solar module? If so, give us all the info you can read from it. Dimensions would be helpful in any case. A photo would be good, too. First, you must find out if the thing's still in working order. You can use a simple electric multimeter and test the module under full sunlight. See our video for the how-to:

http://videos.altenergystore.com/

FYI, a 6V module cannot charge a 12V battery. There may have been two of them at some point, or perhaps the module is a dual-voltage type (there are some, but they are uncommon and usually very small, such as the 1.2W unit we sell) and was once wired for 12V output.

To do anything useful with the module, you will likely need at least a module mount of some kind (bracket or pole mount or something), a charge controller, a battery, wiring and possibly some sort of disconnect (a circuit breaker in a small electrical box like the Baby Box works well).

Reply here or call our sales staff for help.

Cheers,

~Ben
AltE

2 Posts
Dec 30, 2008 09:57 am

Hi Ben,

If you can provide a bit more information, perhaps we can help. Is there a label on the solar module?

The panel is a 5 Inch square.
The label reads:
Siemens Solar Industries
Model Bl1414-L
Solar Electric Module
Nom. System Voltage [   6V  ]

find out if the thing's still in working order.

Oh it works. After I removed from fencing and played with it (to see if it worked) it buzzed, pulsed and when I accidentally touched the contacts it gave me a GOOD jolt.

FYI, a 6V module cannot charge a 12V battery.

I was going by labels. The panel says "6V" information on batter (found online) says it's a 12V 21.0w/cell "designed for high efficient discharge application.. 260 cycles at 100% discharge in cycles service".

The original configuration wasn't (at least obviously) change.

you will likely need at least a module mount

I can handle that.

a charge controller
Say what? Currently the only "charge controller" I have is my accountant.

a battery,

I have the one from the original and/or can replace if it's bad.

wiring

there was lots inside but have NO IDEA what to do with it or the circuit board everything ran through.

possibly some sort of disconnect

On/Off switch? I can do that.

Any idea what kind of AC it might be capable of putting out? Enough for lawn light(s), string of lights, 40w bulb maybe?

Sorry if this is stupid but I learned you've got to be well informed before hiring "experts" or you won't know enough to ask the right questions. I seriously considering installing solar to power my home and/or my office building. I thought this might be a cheap means of teaching myself how it all works.

Thanks for the assistance.

Earle

19 Posts
Dec 30, 2008 01:19 pm

Earle,

Based on what you've told me, I have no idea how the electric fence worked, if indeed it did. I haven't turned up anything on that module (Siemens got out of solar production a long time ago), so I'm guessing about its technology.

A. A 6-volt solar module can't charge a 12V battery. Just can't happen. Think of electricity like water and voltage as water pressure. Pressure goes from high to low. Only way it can go.

B. You won't get ANY ac electricity from ANY solar module. They produce only direct current (dc). SOME manufacturers attached inverters (that make ac from dc) to the backs of (larger) modules. I doubt you have one of them at that size. Again, a photo would be great (send to ben.gorman @ altestore.com)

C. A module of that size will be lucky to produce 2 Watts of power. You will not be powering ANY device directly (unless you can find a tiny toy that uses dc), but you could possibly charge a battery. A 6V battery. Sorry, but solar power ain't magic, and this one's just not big enough to do anything useful and won't power ac devices anyway. Get a bunch more of them and we'll talk.

D. Please read about solar electricity (and system components, etc.) in the many articles on our website. I would love teach you, but I get paid for that! And that's why we keep adding articles to our website, so folks can self-ejumacate:

http://howto.altenergystore.com/

Cheers,

~Ben
AltE

Dec 31, 2008 05:46 am

Depending on where you live, what region, and which season it happens to be, you can only expect a few hours per day (0 to 7) of equivalent full rated power from a PV module.
For example; the extreme of 7 hours, might only be found in the U.S., in the southwest region during the summer with the PV module aimed directly at the Sun. So given that, IF what you have is a 21 watt PV module, there would only be 147 watthours available. A 40 watt bulb might last 3.5 hours. IF you live in the southwest of the U.S. and, IF its summertime and, IF thats a 21 watt PV module.
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/

Goto this site and try: average, annual and, flat plate tilted south at latitude. Click view map and find your region.
This will give a fairly accurate, number of hours of equivalent full rated power per day from a PV module.
Play around with this a little and you can see just how much and how little to expect from photovoltaics.  Like Mr. Gorman says, "solar power ain't magic." Personally speaking, at $5.00 per watt still in the box, not installed, I can't understand how the PV industry stays afloat. To do most anything appreciable with PV one would need to acquire a loan as well as government assistance in whatever form available, or just be plain filthy stinkin' rich. That government assistance applies more so to federal moneys for commerce and industry than it does for the private citizen and state moneys but thats to be expected now isn't it. We can have the U.S. government showing favoritism to its private citizens over commerce and industry, now can we?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!