Wind turbine and Batteries

4 Posts
Nov 13, 2008 08:09 pm
Wind turbine and Batteries

Hello Again.

the wind turbine I am considering can be purchased either as a 24v or 48v, what do you think is a better way to go.

As for batteries, do I need them to be in groups matching the volt output of the wind turbine, i.e. 4-12v batteries or 8-6v batteries, etc. 

what about amp hours.  I was looking at a 12v battery with 212 AH, if I connect 4 of the 12v 212 AH batteries will I have 848 amp hours.

Thank You

Alfred McCall

97 Posts
Nov 14, 2008 10:48 pm
Re: Wind turbine and Batteries

Hi Alfred M.  Just my humble opinion here as one who has a working alternative energy system.  I used a 48 volt system with 48 volt turbines and solar panel connection.  The Turbine voltage must match the battery bank voltage for the controller to operate properly.  My reason for going with 48v was to reduce the current requirements of the wiring between system components.  Copper is expensive and sometimes a real task to lay it up at distance with heavy  gauge wiring.  Since wattage is a product of voltage and current, your amp/hour rating is accumulative whether the batteries are series or parallel wired.  So, four 12v (or 6 8v) batteries would give you the same capacity regardless of series or parallel connection.......what changes, is the current requirement.  Each battery has X amount of current supplied when the turbines charge them, so a parallel connection of four would require 4X current as compared to a series connection that would require 1X current. Best of luck for your system build. Smiley  Jon C.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!