Wind, Solar, Propane Generator Combo

4 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 05:05 pm
Wind, Solar, Propane Generator Combo

Hello All

I am new at renewable energy and have many questions.  My Wife and I are in the process of building a home.  The cost to bring in electricity is about 17k so we thought we might try Off-The-Grid.  We will be going with Wind, Solar, and Propane Generator Combo.  The Whisper 500 from Southwest seems to be the turbine we are leaning toward.  Our property gets quite a bit of wind.

The First of many questions that I have is.  Is there a particular component that ties all three electricity producers together and distributes the power.  What I mean is determine the needs.  Example 1.  Batteries are at full charge and wind is blowing at a good clip so I would like the wind power to feed directly to the house. 

example 2.  No wind, no sun and batteries have dropped to 70% so I would like the Propane generator to kick on to keep the batteries charged.

Or Maybe there is plenty of sun, the batteries are charged and I want the solar to feed directly to the power needs of the house?  I hope I am clear as to what I am asking.

Thank You

Al McCall

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2008 05:07 pm by Alfred McCall »

15 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 08:02 pm
Re: Wind, Solar, Propane Generator Combo

My Xantrex SW inverter will do what you are wanting and I am sure there are probably others. The new XW series are probably even better.

Dennis

49 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 11:12 pm
Re: Wind, Solar, Propane Generator Combo

I am using 2 sw5548 power panels or its called xantrex sw5548/d except I use the outback mx60 controller recomended because its better than the xantrex controller 11000w. This runs my generator kohler16kw when needed in winter{no transfer switch needed in generator if you have one in power panel. and converts my electric to 110v and 220 v . I spent around 20k for everything
16- 245 amp gel batteries for 47,040 watts of storage hooked up for 48v.  6 sharp 208watt pv modules and an airx wind generator. I have enough storage for 3 days of use with no sun or wind before the generator kicks in to charge the batteries.The wind is useless where my house/cabin sits so the solar works best.I have everything a house needs for normal except an air conditioner those suck power mucho. I set my generator to turn off after 1 hr of charging and it only is needed when my solar is covered with the snow. good luck and hav fun learning, Jim

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!