What will replace oil wells-?

25 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 04:36 pm
Re: What will replace oil wells-?

“You need to go back to school and relearn many of the things you think you know, because they are wrong.”

Thanks for pointing out the difference between watts and amps. And as you stated I need to go back to school.

Thomas

462 Posts
Nov 26, 2008 11:26 am
Watts, volts and amps

...a quick analogy.

Watt is power
Volt is flow
Amp  is current or pressure

Watts = V (volts) x I (amps)

or I = Watts/V 
or V = Watts/I

Think of a stream leading to some falls where there is a water wheel or turbine. The wheel will put out power or work, or Watts.
 The water flows with a constant flow rate in gal/min or ft^3/min, this coincides with voltage, eg. 120 volts. This value does not change throughout the flow.
 Before the water reaches the waterwheel, the stream narrows. In order to keep the same flow rate, the water must speed up. This velocity is the current. The faster this current, the more power you can produce.
  Now think about a wire that has been hit with a nail. Now there is a notch taken out of the wire. Now the electrons traveling through the wire have to travel faster through this part of the wire that has been narrowed. this causes friction and overheating.
 So a certain size wire can only carry so many amps at a given voltage over a certain distance before it either over heats or the internal resistance stops the flow.
 So both amps and volts can contribute to more power. If you install a 50 W vs. a 100 W lightbulb in a socket, the voltage is the same but more current has to flow to the 100 W bulb, and it's flow will be twice as fast. If you stick your finger in the socket, the more amps the bigger the jolt or wallup from the increased, moving mass of electrons.

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2008 11:30 am by Tom Mayrand »

25 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 09:42 am

“the more amps the bigger the jolt or wallup from the increased, moving mass of electrons.”

This discussion started when I stated that solar panels cannot produce the amps to drive large motors. Large electric motors run our industrial complex. Am I wrong here-? Can we run our industrial factories on solar panels-?

184 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 10:10 am

Thomas,

It seems to me that anything that can run off of grid-supplied electricity could also run off of a PV system.  My small PV array generates 30 amps.  Increasing the size of my system by 10X would yield 300 amps, and increasing it by another 10X would yield 3000 amps.  The Exeltech MX series of inverters can be stacked to provide 60KW at 208VAC 3 phase.  Strategies could be employed to overcome the high motor-starting current, and other challenges.  Conservation and energy-efficient equipment would be a big help of course. 

351 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 12:27 pm

Why are you limiting it to PV panels ?
Haven't you heard of solar thermal ?

25 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 01:18 pm

John D

My only concern here is for my children’s future. If solar panels and wind-powered systems can take the load needed to run our industrial complex then I’m one happy camper. But being a pessimists I have my doubts. If we become complacent and rely on a technology that can not meet our future needs then we have gone down the wrong path. I think solar and wind have their place in the energy grid but my bet is they can never meet the energy demands we now take for granted. Having said that I must ask is there an alternative-?

I say there is and it is geothermal. When I research geothermal heat mining I find experts saying that this approach is unworkable because magma is just too hot to handle. This may have been true in the past but now I think we need to rethink this energy resource in a big way. In 2005, total worldwide energy consumption was 500 EJ (= 5 x 1020 J) (or 138,900 TWh) with 86.5% derived from the combustion of fossil fuels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_resources_and_consumption

Fossil fuels are finite and when this runs out I seriously doubt that wind and solar will replace it.
« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2008 01:24 pm by thomas dixon »

184 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 03:36 pm

The general consensus is that there will be no single solution when it comes to replacing fossil fuel.  Solar thermal is an efficient way to heat water.  Wind, hydro, and geothermal will be part of the solution.  Bio-fuels will also play a part.  Personally, I really like PV.  No moving parts.  My system just sits there, quietly and efficiently doing its job.  I'm getting closer to a fossil-fuel-free lifestyle, and I see that it is possible.  If I can do it on my limited budget, industry can do it too.  It just takes the desire.  I look forward to a new breed of electric cars, and other advances that will help move us away from fossil fuel.   

25 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 04:12 pm

“I look forward to a new breed of electric cars, and other advances that will help move us away from fossil fuel.”

I do tooooo

Thanks for your reply

Thomas

351 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 01:26 am

"Solar thermal is an efficient way to heat water."

Solar Thermal is also a great way to make electricity on a industrial scale.  Most of the current solar power plants being built in Calif. are not PV, but some form of solar thermal. 
The one I am waiting to see is the solar/stirling engine project, which is in progress.

Dec 3, 2008 06:10 am

Why not turn it all off?
What law is there that states; If we have a thing, then we must utilize it.
Chances are you may have access to a knife, does that mean you are suppose to cut everything in site?
That would appear as adolescent mischief, teenage angst, wouldn't it?
How is what we are doing with man made energy any different?
Just because we know how to utilize it doesn't automatically mean we have to utilize it.
I think that what scares people the most about turning it all off (man made energy in general) and putting it away, is that, without having to see the facts and figures we all just seem to know that this action would start a process of about 4.5 billion people dieing over a period of about 100 years and quite frankly, what to do with all those dead bodies. Especially if it where done "cold turkey" and not a long drawn out process over the 100 years. Think about the impact all those dead bodies would have on the environment. Think about the impact on the environment they are having, living. We all know what the problem is. We all know what the solution is. Coming up with new types of energy to to replace the old is like sharpening that knife.

25 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 11:55 am

I am not one who favors culling the human race. In fact I believe there is plenty of room for all of us and then some.

351 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 01:54 pm

"plenty of room for all, and them some."
Are you sure about that ?

The physical space problem is the easiest. It is just a little more density per sq mile.
But we have a problem of feeding the world's current population.

We also have an energy problem. Even without any more population growth, as the developing nations make progress, their per capita energy use is going to go up dramatically. Currently China's per capita use is skyrocketing.

We in the US, have the one of the most abundant food supplies in the world. We also consume a substantial portion of the world’s energy.

How much of your food and energy use are you willing to sacrifice, to provide a more equal distribution around the world ? (a: for the current population, b: for an increasing pop.)

184 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 02:50 pm

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he'll die of mercury poisining within 5 years.

If we don't start taking better care of our earth, air, and water, we're all doomed!  We're not going to be able to feed ourselves, let alone others.  Politicians have let us down.  Under pressure from the Bush administration, the EPA has just relaxed rules for dumping mining waste into streams.  Since we can't count on responsible political leadership, ordinary people are going to have to lead by example.  Install PV, or solar thermal, or windmills, or hydro systems.  Do what you can.  It will make a difference.

25 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 04:57 pm

I agree with you that first and foremost on one’s mind is to take care of you and yours first. Making yourself energy independent is a very worthwhile endeavor and I applaud anyone who takes this path.

Unfortunately being a city dweller I don’t have that many options.

Dec 4, 2008 12:19 pm

Nor am I in favor of culling the human race. I only made the assumption as to what would happen if the human race were to abandon its desires for all these energies we seem to not be able to live without but can live without.
You must be a trouble shooter and like to come up with the easiest and fastest results to amend the trouble. Culling the human race is strictly your imagination working, not mine. I actually think more along the lines of abstinence in regards to world wide human population.
In case you have missed some of my other postings.
From the beginning of the human race on the planet Earth up to the 1900's, (10,000 years?) world human population reached an estimated 2 billion people. From the 1900's up to present 2008 world wide human population has been estimated at 6.5 billion. That is an increase of 4.5 billion in 108 years, give or take a decade. This population increase corresponds with the increasing use of those energies that we believe we cannot live without but can live without. The prime mover, but not limited to, in this case would be electricity. Fossil fuels another.
Matthew 7:24-27

Dec 4, 2008 06:23 pm

One doesn't have to be a devout Christian to understand the words of Christ as written in the Gospel of Matthew. With these words Christ speaks to all people and all religions, through all time. For those that don't understand the connection in my last post within this thread.
The occurrence of an additional 4.5 billion people over the past 108 years is "the house built on sand." The "sand" is all of these energies we believe that we cannot live with out. I believe that the human race would survive without those energies, just not all 6.5 billion of us.

"What will replace oil wells?"
Taken out of context it appears as a simple and honest question but in review of this thread, I feel that it was a baited question used to draw us into a debate about harvesting the natural energy of geothermal and turning it into electricity. There is no guilt to be laid here for "baiting." If there was then I would be as guilty because I have done the same in the past.

Even though it may not be what the majority of us would like to see in the future, I still think that in the near future, the powers that be will proclaim that they have found a way to "safely" harvest methane hydrates from the oceans floor and derive a "natural" gas from it for use as a means to "free us from dwindling supplies of crude oil and coal." I am not saying that renewables will not have a place in the future. There is no doubt about that but there is a doubt about how affordable renewables will be when compared to methane hydrates as an energy source for 6.5 billion, or more, people in the future. After all, the "powers that be" have to maintain there monopoly, don't they? Without it they cannot control the world. Who is "they," you ask?
http://www.asis.com/users/stag/thewar.html
Believe or not!

184 Posts
Dec 5, 2008 09:52 am

Thomas,

I'm not sure if I agree with your biblical interpretation.  When condidions are right, organisms thrive.  They multiply so quickly that the resources needed to sustain life are quickly used up, and then they die off in large numbers.  I fail to see how this relates to a "house built on sand". 

However, your theory regarding "the powers that be" maintaining a monopoly is reasonable.  Could it be that the cost of PV is not allowed to fall to a point where it would be cheaper than grid-supplied power?  I often hear about technological breakthroughs, but the price of PV has been about the same for several years.  The cost of TV's, Computer's, and other electronic equipment continues to drop, but the cost of PV panels does not.  I smell a rat!

Becoming self-sufficient, and not a slave to the utility companies, is one of the reasons I've installed PV. I'll continue to enlarge my system, in spite of the high cost, until I AM self-sufficient.  It's worth it! 

Building a house with a solid foundation, IMHO, means taking care of your family.  The person who cheats, doesn't come home, and/or is careless with household finances, is one who builds his foundation on sand.

97 Posts
Dec 5, 2008 12:37 pm

I know that I'm probably feeding a can of worms here, but this one tickles me Wink.  What if all the hubbies told their wives.......sorry dear, you can't use the washer anymore, because we are abandoning the addiction to electricity, and you will have to wash them by hand on a scrub board down at the lake. (which is frozen over and laden with runoff contaminants).  The dryer is also a thing of the past, so you will have to hang them out on the clothesline and wait until spring for them to dry.  Forget our electric geothermal heating unit.....we will just dress for the cold and try to keep the water lines from freezing inside the house.  I will shut off the solar panels and wind turbines, since we no longer have any need for electricity, and we will cook our meals over a campfire in the garage with the limited wood that I managed to gather this spring with my gas powered chainsaw. Forget the TV set.......we will find other ways to keep abreast of news, and find other ways to entertain ourselves.  I hope that all the hubbies have a dog house, because you will have to sleep there, and take the dog along with you to keep you warm.  Hmmmmm, its a three dog night. Hey, this is fun........return to primal living conditions?  Might as well face reality.........electricity and appliances are here to stay?  No offense intended to anyone, but I couldn't resist. Smiley  Electricity is not an evil......we just need to generate it in a responsible manner.

25 Posts
Dec 8, 2008 11:43 am

Electricity is not an evil......we just need to generate it in a responsible manner.

I agree.

25 Posts
Dec 10, 2008 09:28 am

Thomas Allen Schmidt posted an article that said:

“There are two factions, God’s people and Satan’s people.”

One of these factions lives in Israel, can you guess which one that is-?

109 Posts
Dec 10, 2008 11:02 am

Hello Folks!

For the sake of a productive discussion I'm going to ask that folks refrain from bringing religion into this forum. 

Thanks for your understanding,
 -Nick

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

25 Posts
Dec 11, 2008 11:20 am

Our transportation system needs an engine power system like we now have on trains. Fuel cell, biofuel or natural gas runs a generator that powers electric motors that drives our transportation system.

& I agree, this is not the forum to discuss religion

351 Posts
Dec 11, 2008 12:03 pm

The engine/generator/electric motor drive is not as efficient as a mechanical drive system.  It is used on trains because it gives them great tractive force for starting, without having to slip a clutch.  It also allows dynamic braking (where they waste the electricity as heat, instead of storing it).

The currently available hybrid drives are much more efficient than the “train system”, for automobiles.  Yes, they could be even more efficient if they used a small diesel hybrid (or biodiesel) drive.

Fuel cells hold the "promise" of greater efficiency, as they eliminate the IC engine/generator (and associated losses) from the equation. But they are not fully developed yet.

The only way the “train system” will be more efficient, is if we use it for trains and dramatically cut back on our use of cars.  (Gee whiz, public transportation)

An even better system is to electrify the major rail lines and use stationary power plants.  With a 3rd rail or overhead wire system, the energy from dynamic braking can be put back on the system, rather than being wasted (regenerative braking).

25 Posts
Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am

Your detailed explanation of how a train’s power system works was great. Clearly you have an understanding of power systems that is way over my head. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for layman like myself.

19 Posts
Dec 14, 2008 04:10 pm

In support of my earlier claim that increases in efficiency will drive our energy future, please play the following (recorded) interview-presentation given on December 11 at the Virtual Energy Forum 2008 (December session). (Sorry, there is no direct link, and you may have to register (free) and log in to view, but it's worth it. About 43 minutes.)

"Energy Efficiency in the U.S. Industry"
featuring Doug Kaempf, Program Manager for the US Department of Energy Industrial Technologies Program (ITP)

I found Kaempf's success stories to be very encouraging.

Go to www.virtualenergyforum2008.com. Log in and click the tab "Dec 2008 Sessions" at top; scroll the list of the Thursday, Dec. 11 presentations; it's in the 2:15PM time slot. (FYI, if you're on a Mac, you may have trouble with video display; try "sticky-clicking" any menu in your browser, so the menu stays popped down until you click again. As long as a menu was down, I was able to see video.)

About Kaempf's role:
The ITP leads national efforts to improve industrial energy efficiency and environmental performance. ITP is part of the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and contributes to its efforts by partnering with U.S. industry in a coordinated program of research and development, validation, and dissemination of energy efficiency technologies and operating practices.

25 Posts
Jan 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Biomediation seems to be the new frontier in energy management. Biomediation is an organic process where algae absorbs the co2 pollutant, gives off oxygen as a byproduct and then the algae is then turned into plastics and or burned as a fuel. When this process is perfected coal and natural gas will no longer be polluters.

Bugs are used in a biomediation system

http://www.infolink.com.au/c/Enware-Australia/Bugs-are-used-in-a-biomediation-system-n760718

Jan 22, 2009 05:14 am

When the storm comes, how does the house fair whose foundation is built on sand, as compared to the house whose foundation is built on rock?
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/21jan_severespaceweather.htm?list755053
The more dependent we become on a thing, anything, the more we miss it when its gone. I guess its a good thing for the human race that it can readily adapt to changing situations. Still, what to do with all of those dead bodies occurring over such a short period of time. 4.5 billion over 100 years. Give or take .5 billion and a decade or two.

25 Posts
Jan 22, 2009 01:07 pm

The world is unfolding as it should. The human race was doing just fine before we started using oil and it will do even better when we stop using oil.

Jan 23, 2009 08:07 pm

Ya, I know exactly what your saying Mr. Dixon. I feel the same way about all of these, manmade energies, we are being sold today. If only life were as simple as when... I don't know, say, when Socrates walked on the Earth. He did pretty well without them.

http://socrates.clarke.edu/

I wonder what world wide human population was back then? What would you say? 100 million maybe? I envy that.

I think it would be interesting to know an alternative time line. Like, what if the indigenous peoples of what we call North America had been allowed to evolve their own culture up to present day with out white settlers screwing everything up. Probaly something similar to the Early Scott's I would think. Before the Romans screwed that all up. We'll never know now, will we?

One thing we do know is, that if mankind can screw something up, they will.
As the world unfolds. Catchy, don't ya think?
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2009 08:10 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

25 Posts
Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Mankind is a very resourceful creature. When the time comes we will find the solutions. And yes, it was a catchy phrase and thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!