Our New President And Renewable Energy

12 Posts
Nov 5, 2008 09:23 pm
Our New President And Renewable Energy

I hope Obama follows through on his promises to lead America into Energy Independence. This past year the high cost of gas has strained our economy and damaged our society.OPEC just cut production and gas will be rising again soon. WE have spent trillions on bail outs and stimulus checks. Our nation needs to invest in renewable energy and strive to become energy independent. Wind,solar and electric cars could replace a huge percentage of imported oil. We could produce cheap electricity and at the same time create millions of badly needed jobs. Renewable energy would be a win-win situation for our nation. Jeff Wilson just wrote a book called The Manhattan Project of 2009 Energy Independence NOW. I highly recommend this book for anyone concerned about our economy and our dependence on foreign oil. http://www.themanhattanprojcetof2009.com

184 Posts
Nov 6, 2008 09:04 am
Re: Our New President And Renewable Energy

Amen!  You're preaching to the choir Sh Ja.  I hope our new prez is wize enough to put engineers and scientists back in charge, instead of the money managers who've screwed things up so badly.  http://solarjohn.blogspot.com/2008/11/look-to-engineers-for-change-we-can.html

Nov 7, 2008 01:05 pm

Well, we in the US will still have an atrocious energy policy, and will so for the foreseeable future (Did not matter who was elected, both of their plans are poor at best).  Trying to incentivize to get companies and individuals to go to alternatives does not work well, and frankly, is so old school and anti-capitalistic.  I am possibly a rare breed: a conservative, a captitalist, and an evironmentalist.  No country can be fully energy independent, ever.  Even if we could totally switch off the oil spigot, have you ever heard of Hydro Quebec?  Hydro power from Canada has been feeding the US grid for decades.  That is one simple example.  Energy independence is a myth.  The better term to use should be energy self-sufficiency.

Obama can do nothing better than what has been done to date on renewables, based on his stated campaign positions.  His statements do not make sense, even if we could redirect the umpteen-billions we would need to go down his fairy tale path.  Like any good liberal, he'd have to increase taxes somewhere (like lots of somewheres!) to do what he wants.  The federal government started down the right road a couple of years back opening up hundreds of millions in grants for research to improve current alternative energy technologies.  Like the space race, we need to prime the pump.  That is not going to happen with a bunch of small companies doing a bunch of little research.  That is part of it, but we need the big companies and prominent universities into this wholesale -- and this has started.  The number of patent applications needs to increase 10-fold.  Then we'll get this thing solved, and be well on our way to "energy self-sufficiency". But it will still take 10 years just to get good things to market, and 20 to fully exploit the new inventions.

Might as well get used to having an oil-based energy system for at least another 20 years.  Peak oil was supposed to have happened by now, and has not.  Plateau oil was then the new theory after the peak thing did not go as expected, and it looks mythical as well.  No doubt, we will reach a point where supply dwindles because there is little left.  Improving usage of pretoleum, improving effiencies across the board, stretching the limited supply needs to be part of the solution.

Oh, and by the way, I do build solar powered generators. I know with current technologies things can work. We just need massive improvements in all areas, solar, wind, geo-thermal, electrical storage, etc, etc.

49 Posts
Nov 7, 2008 09:09 pm

If the government would get out of the way and give everyone who pays taxes a year of no taxes if you use that money for alternative energy I could have enough solar panels for myself and my neighbors.

12 Posts
Nov 7, 2008 10:34 pm

Maybe we just need to educate Obama...Should we send him Jeffs book or maybe Jeff can move up there and show him a thing or two.  You make solar powered generators , tell me more. Could have used those in FL after hurricane Charley...

12 Posts
Nov 7, 2008 10:36 pm

We have the technology, the knowledge, what we seem to lack as a nation is a plan, someone with enough brains to have a vision and a plan to make it happen.

Nov 8, 2008 03:41 pm

You can't seriously believe that this politicians campaign promises are going to be different than any other politicians. He is only different because he is the first African American U.S. president but, that alone does not make him an honest politician? Hey thats an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp or pretty ugly.
Honest politician.

4 Posts
Nov 8, 2008 04:11 pm

Dear Anthony,

"I am possibly a rare breed: a conservative, a capitalist, and an environmentalist"

It may be rare, but I don't see that as a bad combination.  I have considerable faith in capitalism.  The same may be said of capitalism as I think Churchill said about democracy:  "It's the worst possible form of government except for every other that's been tried."

You make a lot of good points.

I disagree however that energy independence is impossible.  It's just that we currently lack the necessary technology.

I have tremendous faith in human creativity.  Like you said, the nay sayers have predicted our running out of oil for decades and have been steadily wrong.  I think we will ease out of oil based energy.  Not overnight but eventually.

Jake

http://www.AlternativeEnergyPrimer.com

Nov 9, 2008 06:50 am

I can honestly say that, in my personal experiences over the past 15 years, I have had a lot of encounters with people that have had a sincere desire to utilize PV power on their homes and or business'. Some of them were even ecstatic to finally be talking to someone about it but, when I added up the cost minus any government assistance, minus any profit or overhead for the PV system and showed them the price for materials alone, I got reactions that range from a blank stare of disbelief to a look of horror. One fella just let air out between his teeth, turned and walked away.
In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing Barack Obama or any politician could every do to change those reactions from potential investors of PV energy.
While I am on this subject, does anybody know were I can find a list of PV industry CEO's, chairpersons and, their yearly incomes? Can I at least assume that they are not living in slum housing or single wide mobile home parks, riding the bus or driving beater cars and pickup trucks like millions of other American people are? Working fulltime jobs but the pay is at a scale that still allows them to get government assistance for food to feed there children, like millions of American people are?
George W. Bush was paid $400,000.00 a year to be our U.S. president. Does anybody know what Barack Obama is getting paid to be our U.S. president?
Would somebody correct me if I am wrong but, in America, isn't the U.S. president still considered an employee in the public service? Or maybe they would prefer the word official? Lest they be thought of as inferior.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!