Looking for opinions on Enphase Inverters

1 Posts
Oct 28, 2008 02:32 pm
Looking for opinions on Enphase Inverters

One of the solar companies that we are considering has recommended Enphase Inverters on each of the panels.
Does anyone have any experience or opinions about these inverters? pros or cons? Thanks.

163 Posts
Oct 28, 2008 04:33 pm
Re: Looking for opinions on Enphase Inverters

It certainly is an interesting concept where conceivably one could build a PV system 200 watts at a time without having any redundant or underused equipment. Its a bit like not having all of your eggs in one basket so to speak.

The inverters themselves have a 10-year warranty, and if one fails then your power only falls by 200 watts and not an entire system failure that you might have with a single large inverter.

By converting the 24V DC to 240V AC right at the panel the run back to the main AC panel can be done with much smaller and cheaper wire. They have also eliminated the expense of DC disconnects, inverter programming etc.

Enerphase is currently offering incentives to installers, so that might be one reason the solar company is recommending them, but overall it looks to be a system that can be installed rather quickly and quite easily.
http://www.enphaseenergy.com/products/moreinfo/faststart.cfm

The only con that I can see, and this is from my personal point of view only, is that they want you to sign up to monitor the output of the system. I don't want to have to ask someone else what the output of my system is, but perhaps other less technical people prefer that route. Its hard to tell if they are looking to make money from the sale of the product, the after sales service, or both.

John

1 Posts
Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the positive words about Enphase products. You are absolutely right in that one of the major advantages of a micro-inverter system is that there isn't a single point of system failure. If one module is affected or fails, the rest of the array continues working.

I just thought I'd clarify one point: we actually have a 15-year warranty on our micro-inverters. In addition, we offer a 100% Uptime Guarantee where we reimburse the system owner for the value of any lost power production due to the failure of one of our inverters. This is at a rate of $0.20/kWh for up to a month. You can read more about this program at http://www.enphaseenergy.com/support/enphaseentrust/index.cfm.

John and Elaine - you might be interested in watching an online video of Enlighten which is our monitoring system. Enlighten gives you web-based access to your account from anywhere - http://www.enphaseenergy.com/products/moreinfo/enlighten.cfm

Again, thanks for the interest and please let us know if you have any additional questions about Enphase products.

Leesa Lee
Director of Marketing
Enphase Energy, Inc.
llee @ enphaseenergy.com

65 Posts
Oct 29, 2008 05:41 pm

Hi John,
We (a few of us from AltE) recently had a chance to see Enphase's product at the Solar Power 2008 show. If it's an indication of the interest in their product, their booth more than any other I saw had the largest crowd of folks oozing out into the aisles. It has clearly generated a lot of excitement in our industry and it was the highlight for most our folks that went to the show as well.

Personally, this is a product that I have been bugging manufacturers to come out with for the US market (but apparently Enphase stayed off our radar until now) after Trace let go of their Microsine inverter series.  Our retail division, AltE Store, focuses on helping Do-It-Yourselfers install RE systems safely & successfully. However, grid-tie solar electric systems have almost always involved playing with very high and very dangerous DC voltages - something that only the most skilled DIYer should consider installing and, of course, with the assistance of a licensed electrician for final hookup and code review. So, what impressed me about the Enphase product was how they not only made the install simpler (and simpler to meet code requirements) but that it allows DIYers to play with DC voltages that won't stop their heart. Wink I.e. under 48VDC. 

The other big point is that so many green DIYers are working on a budget that doesn't necessarily allow them to afford the upfront cost of a 5-10kW PV system. A micro grid tie inverter allows folks to add capacity as their budget affords. You add one inverter & one panel at a time. And whether you live in a state that has an aggressive rebate program for RE systems or not, the 2008 or 2009 tax credit makes this small of a system even more financially attractive.

We're hoping to get one of these units into our AltE "Labs" to test and play with soon.  So with any luck, our guys will be able to provide you and other folks out there with some of our test results. Stay tuned!

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/

3 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 02:36 pm

One of the solar companies that we are considering has recommended Enphase Inverters on each of the panels.
Does anyone have any experience or opinions about these inverters? pros or cons? Thanks.

I'm currently doing a DIY install in Albuquerque, NM with 9 of them to start.  Shading resiliency and troubleshooting isolation really sold me on the system.  I'm keeping a running blog of my progress- just google for "duke city solar" periodically and you'll see what's new with my install.

The EMU is interesting- I'll reply to the fellow below with more about it.

3 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 02:40 pm

The only con that I can see, and this is from my personal point of view only, is that they want you to sign up to monitor the output of the system. I don't want to have to ask someone else what the output of my system is, but perhaps other less technical people prefer that route. Its hard to tell if they are looking to make money from the sale of the product, the after sales service, or both.

Indeed, this turned me off initially, too.  I'm just getting started and was reading the EMU manual this morning.  It turns out the monitoring unit has a built in web server that will display all the vitals for each inverter.  There's even an lcd display telling you how many inverters are reporting, what the current output is, and the cumulative output.  Enphase isn't doing themselves any favors by neglecting to advertise this- sure the monitoring and alerts by a third party website is nice, but the way they're talking about it makes it seem like you have an inaccessible black box doing who-knows-what on your local network.

1 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 06:59 pm

I know I would like to see an Enphase inverter that would work with 18v nominal modules. If one were to have a module with a Vmp of around 27v and Isc of around 9 amps it would not be compatible with either of the current Enphase units:

http://www.enphaseenergy.com/downloads/8261_Datasheet_24_32.pdf

Also it would be nice to see Enphase inverters that were compatible with Solarline 2 connectors too!

It seems like Sharp is your only choice for a 24v nominal module with Solarline 1 connectors =( Hopefully if Enphase is successful they will come out with inverters that are compatible with a wider range of PV modules.

Has anyone tried connecting two 12v nominal modules in series with pigtails into an Enphase? I would like to try that experiment!

3 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 07:13 pm

I've also wondered about using 2 12v or 16v modules.  I would guess that as long as the combined wattage was at or under the rated maximum, it would work just fine.  Not much sense in doing it though- the sweet spot of $/W is up around 180W these days.  Maybe if you had a bunch of old 100W-120W modules sitting around, though.

578 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 07:17 pm

hey chris,

I talked to the enphase folks in san diego, and they said likely inverter #2 would be for sanyo 96 hybrid cells.

#3 would be 18v modules with likely 54 or 60 cells.  would be right for large kd series kyocera modules.

btw, new evergreen mods 200-210 will have  114 cells, but interesting show the characteristics of a 12v nominal module, vmp 18, voc 22.

I think it is a neat idea, although  AC modules as they were called failed in the 80's.  at 2kw and up, costs seem to even out 1 inverter v multiple, and the higher dc voltage yields lower voltage drop in the favor of the standard string inverter.  under 1kw maybe be a niche, and only the sma 700 lives there now with a tricky voltage window.  like you said, there are not a ton of traditional 24v nominal modules left.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854
« Last Edit: Nov 5, 2008 11:12 am by James Cormican »

578 Posts
Oct 30, 2008 07:24 pm

i think two 12v should work.  i wonder if enphase cares for warranty or anything else.  only issues i see is you would have to add MC solarline 1 connectors, and that may not fit well with the j box and inverter. 2nd issue, if you have two in series, the ends may not reach the inverter forcing somebody to buy or make 3 or 6ft extensions which may get crowded under the modules.

james
altE staff

AltE

1 Posts
Jul 30, 2010 09:13 pm

My biggest complaint is that they charge $2 per inverter per year to see the output of the inverters.  I have 21 inverters, so $42 per year, and the system only generates $500 per your in electricity per year.  That's almost 10% per year just to see the output.

I tried to search their web site to find out what they charge before I bought the things, but they had no info on what they charge.  It was only until after I had installed the inverters that Enphase called me to register the inverter interface, and only after I asked what they charge did I get an answer.  Unfortunately, with these inverters installed under the panels on my 2 story house, it would be very difficult to change inverter manufactures.  So now if I want to know the output, I have to pay them $42 per year!

578 Posts
Jul 31, 2010 02:31 pm

or you can have your solar/electrical pro install a dumb old analog meter between the output of the inverters and the point of interconnection.  i kid about this, but I employ this method with a string inverter and prefer it to having to pay a subscription.

low tech, granted, but should be able to track production old school style.  if you want daily numbers, go outside every day after sunset and write it down.  fire up a spreadsheet and go town. I settle for monthly data. 

http://www.altestore.com/store/Meters-Communications-Site-Analysis/Meters-Battery-Monitors/Power-Meters/GE-Solar-KWHR-Meter-240V-100A-EZ-Read-Meter/p3918/

http://www.altestore.com/store/Meters-Communications-Site-Analysis/Meters-Battery-Monitors/Power-Meters/Kilowatt-Hour-Meter-Base-NEMA-3R/p4227/

james
altE staff

AltE

1 Posts
Aug 21, 2010 12:43 am

My biggest complaint is that they charge $2 per inverter per year to see the output of the inverters.  I have 21 inverters, so $42 per year, and the system only generates $500 per your in electricity per year.  That's almost 10% per year just to see the output.

I tried to search their web site to find out what they charge before I bought the things, but they had no info on what they charge.  It was only until after I had installed the inverters that Enphase called me to register the inverter interface, and only after I asked what they charge did I get an answer.  Unfortunately, with these inverters installed under the panels on my 2 story house, it would be very difficult to change inverter manufactures.  So now if I want to know the output, I have to pay them $42 per year!

This was exactly my concern.  However, I don't think you are correct. If you look through their FAQ data you'll find a note about monitoring without their service.  You can, in fact get the data about the cells, on cursory checks.  Now, I cheat a little because I program for a living at a major software vendor, but I am actually thinking of making a system that monitors the Enphase locally if I decide to go down the Enphase route (I haven't even committed to solar yet).

Personally, data exposure is mandatory for me.  If, after I research further, I find I cannot adequately get the data then there is absolutely no way I will by the product.  I detest those "lock-in" tactics and will go to a traditional inverter if need be.  I agree... 10% of the money you generate going to monitoring is excessive!

http://www.enphaseenergy.com/support/faqs.cfm

Will the Enphase system work without implementing Enlighten? What data is available if I don't connect my Envoy to the Ethernet?
    Usage of the Enlighten web monitoring is highly recommended for all Enphase Energy Microinverter System installations. However, if there is no internet access at the installation site, it is still possible to communicate directly with the Envoy using the Ethernet port and a personal computer with a web browser. Instructions for how to connect are available in the Envoy user manual (available off the Downloads page) and you can view an extract of the manual to see what level of data is available via the local interface.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!