strong lightning protection for solar pumping systems- expert advice desired

20 Posts
Oct 22, 2008 07:03 pm
strong lightning protection for solar pumping systems- expert advice desired

Hi,
We have been involved for several years with solar water pumping systems used in developing countries to bring water to villages in remote off-grid areas.  I've directly installed 3 systems in Nicaragua and 1 in the Philippines.  In a few weeks, I will be helping a local Filipino non-profit repair 2 systems that they installed a few years ago.

Brands so far include: Sunpumps (AZ), Grundfos, Mono (Australia), and the 2 for repairs are Lorentz.  ALMOST ALL OF THEM SO FAR have had electronics damage apparently due to lightning, even though most of the systems include lightning arrestors, either wired into a main breaker (Sunpumps), or built into the controller (Mono).

A system down means that the villagers (usually women and kids) have to spend several hours every day fetching water down the mountain for their basic domestic needs.

I read in a detailed technical note pulled from this Alt-E site (SAND 2005-0342 Printed February 2005), a recommendation to use two separate ground rods: one as a direct path to ground from the array metallic structure (post, frame, and panel frames ground lugs), and another rod to connect the equipment ground (controller, motor).  A DC lightning arrestor would then be connected at the breaker, connected to +, -, and equipment ground.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

All the manufacturer's installation manuals I've seen show a single grounding rod, and usually the metal case of the controller is attached to the array post anyway, so I suspect that technically their ground terminal is somewhat bonded to the casing and the post and array ground.

Would it make sense to install the breaker and controller to some unique support/post unrelated to the array? Then to use the 2-rod approach?

I also plan to inspect ground lugs and electrical connections between the frames and the existing grounding rods.

Can anybody think of anything else I should be looking for and implementing from now on?

Thanks a lot.
Michel

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!