Do I need a 12v or 24v charge controller?

11 Posts
Oct 13, 2008 03:17 pm
Do I need a 12v or 24v charge controller?

I've decided to resell the 5-watt panels I bought earlier and now I'm ordering 16 x 15-watt amorphous solar panels Smiley  But while their Voc is 21-23, the voltage under load is only 13.5-18.

I'm thinking that if I get a bottom-of-the-barrel panel at only 13.5 volts that they won't be able to charge a 12V battery bank.  So my plan is to string them together to create 27-36 volts and then use a 24->12V MPPT charge controller to charge the 12v batteries.  Is this a good idea, or can I save some money and safely stick purely with 12V?

I narrowed it down to the Morningstar Sunsaver (15A) and the Blue Sky SOLAR BOOST 3024i (30A).  I'm leaning more heavily towards the Morningstar since it's cheaper and can handle 240 watts (24V * 10A) with 50% overcurrent capacity.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!