12v Switches for interior lights/outlets

2 Posts
Sep 25, 2008 04:53 pm
12v Switches for interior lights/outlets

I've researched around and keep finding that normal household switches are not DC rated.  I'm curious what you all are using or recommend.  They would be low amp only running up to a few 15w CFL's in a seasonal cabin I'm building.

thanks
Fritz

Here is a post from Thomas Hardy regarding a 3 way circuit.
http://forums.altenergystore.com/index.php/topic,780.0.html

I would caution you that using inexpensive, readily available 3-way switches commonly used in the AC world could be a problem. They typically aren't rated for DC use. To be safe, I would recommend using a commercial grade switch and limit (by limiting the number of lamps and their current rating) the switching to a couple of amps.  The problem is that arcing in switches (happens in all of them), particularly when breaking contact, is typically quenched as the voltage passes through zero (in the AC cycle).  In a DC circuit, this doesn't happen.  Generally this means that the life of the switch will be shortened vs. AC use.  In extreme cases, it could be a fire hazard.  So limit the DC current you are trying to switch to well below the rating of the switch.  Anyway, let me know if I can help you with your wiring circuit problem.

578 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 11:28 am
Re: 12v Switches for interior lights/outlets

yes we have a switch.  i will put the link in.  they are somewhat hard to find.  i think they have to be "t" rated if they are able to do ac and or dc.  usally they click when the switch  is thrown.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/Switches/DC-Switches/DC-Surface-Mount-Switch/p2356/

hope that helps.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 12:26 pm

The T rating indicates that the switch is approved for tungsten filament lamp loads. It does not indicate DC approval. There are AC only snap switches that are T rated.

578 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 12:33 pm

thanks,

i learned something today, i will see what other info i can dig out about the switch we have.

james
altE staff

AltE

578 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 12:49 pm

here is what it says on the switch itself.

5a-250v-10a-125v-T
CSA, UND LAB INC LIST.

does that help at all?

what other folks have done is use the midnite babybox with dc din rail circuit breakers as switches in simple applications.

james
altE staff

AltE

351 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 02:01 pm

James

I need to make it clear (for everyone), that I wasn't questioning the rating of your switch. I was only trying to clarify what the T rating is.  Unfortunately, in making a short reply, it could appear otherwise.

“AC-DC General Use Switches” are usually NOT marked AC-DC. (Life would be simpler if they were.) The markings on your switch are totally consistent with the AC-DC General Use switches that I have used, showing the AC ratings only.

Just as a side comment, it would be nice if you had a picture of the switch on that page, so people could see what it looks like.

Ken

578 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 02:09 pm

no, not worried about questionning the rating, we/I want correct info out there, and myself and the forum appreciate feedback.  i am working on photos for next week, I just wanted to read off what was on the switch for more info.  i found info in the nec in section 404.14, but it is not a certain answer as the switch itself does not say DC on it.

thanks for the help Smiley

james
altE staff

AltE

2 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 03:06 pm

Thanks for looking into this.  I'm sure when this is cleared up lots of folks will know what direction to go.

There must be a lot of people out there using AC only switches.  I have read about modifying these with a diode & capacitor to reduce arcing but that certainly is not code.

Fritz

27 Posts
Oct 1, 2008 05:25 pm

I have a basic 120v ac switch running my outdoor LED's, granted there is only 24 watts flowing through it, at the most, and 10awg multistrand landscape lighting wire was used throughout.  But I have no worries with this amount of load.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!