Charging a larger Lithium Ion battery with solar

1 Posts
Jun 13, 2008 01:16 pm
Charging a larger Lithium Ion battery with solar

Hello,

I’m seeking a solution for charging a 12 volt lithium ion battery while traveling for several weeks at a time.  I’ll have this requirement in a  tropical location (@15 degrees north) which has no generator/power grid. The selection criteria, in order of importance, are:

1.   Effective (It must be able to recharge the battery without damaging it, given a full day of full sun)
2.   Portable (ideally foldable for a knapsack, but otherwise small enough to fit a standard size airline-checkable suitcase)
3.   Durable (it needs to travel well without undue precaution for breakage, heat or water damage,)
4.   Affordable (both in terms of $/watt and operational lifespan.  While it won’t be used often, it must be ready to go after storage for 6 months at a time.  In the end, if it is still cheaper to transport the battery to a place with electricity grid to recharge every few days, the solar benefit fades)

The battery the system will charge is used to power a medical device called a CPAP machine.  (This is not a life support device.)  It may also be used to power other 12V consumer electronics such as camera and cell phones batteries.

Battery characteristics:

222 Wh, 18.5Ah
Output voltage: 12v
Output current: 8A max
Charge current: 2500mAh
In/out Connectors: cigarette lighter (female) & barrel plug (female)
Built-in overheating/thermal runaway protection circuitry
(see http://www.batterygeek.net/v/vspfiles/Super_CPAP_Battery_Pack_222Wh.asp for manufacturer’s description)

The battery generally will need to be recharged every 3 days.

Will a straight Sunlinq foldable panel work?  Has anyone actually used it straight to a Li-on battery?  What about the need for charge controllers, or inverters?  Please advise on what options you might suggest, along with any connectors/cables you'd get to do it with. 

I appreciate the time and expertise of the group, and your consideration of my (uninformed) question.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!