Velux hot water system

9 Posts
May 20, 2008 04:08 am
Velux hot water system

I'm seriously thinking about going with the Velux hot water system that has just recently been introduced into the US. I've read that these systems have been used in Europe for years. Aesthetically, they are perfect for the front of a house because they look just like skylights, and the SRCC rating is very good. Anyone have any experience with the Velux system?  http://www.veluxusa.com/products/solarWater/

462 Posts
May 20, 2008 09:55 am
Re: Velux hot water system

Jerry, most SHW panels are basically the same. Copper on copper or copper on aluminum in an insulated aluminum box. Check out the selection here. Try to buy local to keep our economy going. The rest of the system is just plumbing. Looks like you are thinking of installing on a roof. Last resort in my opinion. Keep it simple and keep it cheap for minimal maintenence and faster payback......Glad to see you reconsidered buying evacuated tubes. As you said more money, hard to replace old models and can't be repaired easily.

9 Posts
May 29, 2008 11:25 am

I just found out that Velux does not recommend their system for heating a spa.  I want to install a solar hot water system that will do both, but I'm having trouble finding a solution.  Has anyone ever installed a solar hot water system that heats both domestic hot water and a spa?  From what I've read so far, I will need a 120 gallon storage tank with an auxilary heat exchanger for the spa loop, another heat exchanger in the PVC piping of the spa, and a circulator pump.  Any advice?  Thanks.

462 Posts
Jun 2, 2008 10:04 am

Jerry, the only way I recommend using solar for heating a hot tub is to draw the water from the drain of the tub and return it back into the tub using a hose. This way here you do not mess with the manufacturers plumbing that could void warranties. You can pump the water directly from the drain into SHW panels or into a heat exchanger as you mentioned. If you want to incorporate it with solar for domestic hot water,you will need a double heat exchanger tank.

9 Posts
Jun 2, 2008 10:15 am

Tom, thanks for the response.  I was thinking about using the double heat exchanger method.  There is a good diagram at http://www.thermomax.com/tw_pool.htm that shows how it's done. Now, I just have to decide which type of panel to go with - evacuated for performance or flat for aesthetics (front-of-house)
thanks again

462 Posts
Jun 2, 2008 10:36 am

Jerry, I would recommend flat plates. If you ever add to the system, it's a lot easy to match and connect flat plates. Evacuated tube designs are still changing to rapidly.
 Is the front of the house and the roof the only location you have to install the panels? Where is the hot tub and other utilities located? How much piping will be needed? Is snow a problem where you are located? Is there room for expansion? Can you add a second, cheaper hot water system dedicated to the tub? How many panels are you planning on using for both the tub and domestic hot water?.....
 Just some other questions for you to think about when installing a SHW system.

9 Posts
Jun 2, 2008 10:49 am

I was leaning towards the flat plates.  Good set of questions to ask the installer.  Thanks again.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!