conversion math

4 Posts
May 14, 2008 04:07 pm
conversion math

since i havn't found much interest in my previous post i will try another.

i want to make sure that i'm on the right page.

if i have an alternator rated at 50A can i assume it is putting out 600W at 12V DC?
(50 X 12 = 600)??

so if it is putting out 600W at capability.
when i convert that with an ac converter i maintain the 600W?
(minus loss to the actual converter)??

now the 600W can be used in the form of 120V AC at 5A?
(600 / 120 = 5)Huh

please let me know if i need to find a new hobby! thanks

163 Posts
May 14, 2008 04:40 pm
Re: conversion math

Your math is correct. However, to get 600 watts of power from the alternator, the wind turbine that you are using to turn the alternator must be capable of generating in excess of 600 watts of power. The maximum power of a wind turbine is determined by the swept area of the blades and wind speed. Any other inefficiencies in your system will bring the total power generated down, so don't be surprised if you build a wind turbine capable of generating only 50 watts of power and it fails to deliver the power you might have expected out of the other end of your 600 watt alternator. Here is a good place to read about wind power:
http://www.awea.org/

May 18, 2008 06:44 am
Re: conversion math

Precisely.
The math of electricity deals with absolutes.
The more precise one is with the input data the more precise the answer will be.
Advertising, on the other hand, has a tendency to exaggerate. But you know this.
Key words here are - rated output.
 If the manufacturer of this product was able to achieve this "rated output" then there would have to be a test condition. Was the test condition a standard among generator manufacturers? What are the conditions?

A generators output is directly related to its input speed and torque values as well as any load that would be placed on it which could have an effect on internal temperatures and so on. All of this would appear to be picking nits but, you wanted to know, and the best way I know how to know an unknown is to know what the unknown is and then form an hypothesis. Then experiment to prove or disprove that hypothesis. After all Micheal Faraday didn't invent the very first electric motor sitting on his keister you know.
http://www.rigb.org/heritage/faradaypage.jsp
Not that I think you are prone to sitting on your keister or anything, its just a figure of speech.
Anyway, you will need; an amp meter, a volt meter, an rpm gauge, a power source (to spin the generator,) and a torque value gauge. You know what, on second thought, it would easier to preform another well known mathematical step that electricians use known as de-rating, which is to assume that it will not put out its advertised rating.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!