charge controller location

3 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 10:07 am
charge controller location

I have a 100' cable run between the solar panel and the battery.  Should the controller be placed at one end or the other, or does it matter?
Thanks, Lee

578 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 10:11 am
Re: charge controller location

the controller likely will not be outdoor rated, it should go by the battery, inside (with appropriate disconnects).  voltage drop will be your issue, not charge controller location.

tell us about what you have, and what you are trying to do, and i am sure the community will help.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply, James.

This is a setup to charge a 12 volt battery in a field to power a pump filling a stock tank from an old dug well.  Because of the distance (200') between the panel and the well, which is located well back in the woods, I had planned on locating the battery between the two to minimize the cable size.  Figured that with a 40 Watt Kyocera panel and a pump drawing 2.9 amps, I could run two 100' lengths of 8/2 and keep my voltage drop to 3%.  The controller was going to be a Morningstar Sunguard, which I think is rated for outdoor use.  I was assuming it would be best to locate the controller just before the battery.  Does that make sense?
Lee   

578 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 10:56 am

well, the 100ft run from module to battery with 8 gauge is about 3 to 4% drop, but then the issue could be worse from battery to pump.  it depends what the pump draws, and the pv line is likely to run at 15-17vdc, while the battery to pump line is more likely to run at 11-13vdc.  do we know what the draw of the pump is?

if this were my system, this is what i would do.
1. make an enclosure for battery/controller/disconnects (even plywood beats nothing).  although the sunguard is sealed, the wires stick out, and then you rely on outdoor wire nuts (thumbs down).
2.  I would get the pv voltage as high as possible by putting 2 or 3 modules in series (even small ones) and use something like this as a controller
http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-MPPT-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Sunsaver-MPPT-Charge-Controller/p6185/

what you are doing is not bad, i double check voltage drop from battery to pump.  as always it is a trade-off between cost and performance.  i would prob go the above route, but it is easy to do with imaginery money Wink

james
Alt-E staff

AltE

3 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 11:02 am

James,
     I was going to use a Rule 1000 pump which draws 2.9 amps, but there's no reason I can't use a smaller pump.  I'd thought about the MPPT controller  with a higher violtage panel to lower voltage drop, but it's just not in the budget right now.  Loved the part about "imaginary money."  Many thanks, Lee
Do you know if the 40 watt Kyocera is in stock in the store?

578 Posts
Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

looks like two left with next shipment coming soon.

good luck with the system.
james
Alt-E staff

AltE

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!