wiring solar panels together

10 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 10:36 pm
wiring solar panels together

Does anyone have links to information on how to wire solar panels in an array. I've purchased one solar panel and want to get a few more. But before I make the purchase I'd like to know what's involved in setting them up to work together.

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2008 05:46 am
Re: wiring solar panels together

Some of the more general rules of thumb that I have learned are;
 1 - Series wiring of PV modules will involve connecting the Positive terminal of one module to the Negative terminal of another module and so on. This will cause a doubling in voltage but amperage stays the same. The more modules the higher the voltage.
 2 - Parallel wiring of  PV  modules involve connecting the Positive terminal of one module to the Positive of another module and like wise the Negative. This will cause the voltage to stay the same and the amperage to double. The more modules the higher the amperage.
3 - Its been said/written more times than one that only like PV modules should be wired into an array.
4 - Learn the Code! Wire size, type of wire, as well as conduits and means of fusing and disconnect, grounding are all very important! The best advice I can give you here is to ether get yourself a copy of the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code) or at least make friends with an accomplished electrician who allready has one and knows how to use it.
As for the links you asked for;
http://www.homepower.com/home/
http://photovoltaics.sandia.gov/
Well I am running out of time here. These two should give you a good start in the right direction. If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to help. Despite what you made have read at some of these PV websites, its not brain surgery or anything. A lot of the electrical calculation are simple math and knowing the limitations of the electrical products available.

184 Posts
Mar 31, 2008 09:36 am

Thomas is correct.  Another way to look at it is to think of each solar panel as a battery:

Wired in series, the voltage is the sum of the individual panel voltages.  If all series-wired panels have the same maximum current rating, the total maximum current will be the same as the current available from one panel.

Wired in parallel, the voltage is the same as the voltage of an individual panel.  Maximum current will be the sum of the current from each of the panels. 

If panels of different current capacities are wired in series, the maximum current will be the same as the current available from the smallest panel.  (Avoid doing that).

If you'll be wiring your panels in parallel, you'll want to get a charge controller and an inverter that will operate on 12-volts.  For a large array, you will probably be better off with series-parallel array wiring, and a charge controller and inverter designed to operate at a higher voltage, typically 24 or 48 volts.

I hope this helps.

John
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 09:41 am by John Dalhaus »

10 Posts
Mar 31, 2008 10:52 am

Great. Thanks for your help. The panel I own is a 6 watt Global Solar. I'm using these low wattage panels because the physical space where I can install them is pretty narrow. But at 9" wide, these work well.

However, it doesn't look like the junction box is accessible. Is opening the junction box a requirement to string them together in an array?

The 6 watt Global Solar panels only have the positive and negative lead wires. It looks like they could be joined to wires from the other panel at the connection to the charge controller. Is that possible?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 12:39 pm by Vince Allen »

Apr 1, 2008 05:20 am

It kinda tuff to say for sure without knowing which charge controller you are referring to. If it has more than one set of positive and negative PV input terminals. Sometimes, single terminals can legally (NEC) accept two wires. In parallel each PV modules wire should be fused on the positive side, in series there is only one positve to fuse. Then they can be combined by way of a combiner block or maybe even DIN rail terminals with factory jumpers. This allows you to take one bigger wire to the charge controller. The same is done with the negative wire but the fuse is not necessary. Just make sure of the electrical ratings of what ever you use. (I have grown accustom to looking at electrical ratings of everything I see. Its become a habit of mine.)
http://www.curtisind.com/products/din/dinhome.asp
Automotive type fuses can work, just be sure that the voltage ratings are compatible with the open circuit voltages of the PV module. Note that, where as fuses and breakers add a degree of protection for a device, their primary purpose is to protect you and your home, or whatever, from fire. If, for example, a wire is sized to small for its amp load and its not fused correctly, the wire will get hot. Sometimes hot enough to set its insulation and anything else near it on fire. Loose wires on a terminal after the fuse can get hot, even the negatives.
The NEC National Electrical Code is an institution of the NFPA National Fire Protection Agency. You might have seen this acronym NFPA on such things as fire extinguishers.
http://www.nfpa.org/
It might seem like I am excessing (is that a word?) about this but we are on a public forum afterall.
Thats enough about that. I take it you have the GSE 6 watt PV module?
Rated amps 0.38
Rated volts 15.8
Open circuit volts 23
short circuit amps 0.45
When sizing wire use the short circuit ratings of a PV module and add 156%. That makes 0.70 amps. Then you can go on to the line loss calculations, but I gather that all your lines will be short?

10 Posts
Apr 1, 2008 08:44 am

Thanks. Yes, all lines will be short. I've placed this panel in a window and have no need for long wiring. The cables will go to an enclosure under the window that holds the charge controller, battery and inverter.

I'm using a Morningstar Sunsaver Ss-6 6A, 12V Pwm charge controller and understand the max wire size can be AWG #10. Thanks for the help on the correct wiring size.

My goal with the system is to collect energy during the week for use on the weekend. Because I have limited space, I'm using a smaller wattage panel. I also have five uninterrupted week days to collect energy. But I would like to increase the number of panels by at least one more.

I emailed Global Solar and they suggested using a Y-connector to connect two panels to one charge controller. My confusion lies in the connection types. It seems many panels use MC connectors. The connectors on the GSE 6 watt panel are just exposed wires. Is there some kind of a MC connection adapter that can be placed on the exposed leads?

Thanks again.

578 Posts
Apr 1, 2008 10:41 am

no, there is no mc connector available for those wires.  your situation is nonstandard for several reasons.  1. it is not outside. 2. to hook 2 in parallel, you would normally have a combiner box.  3. modules under 30w usually have bare leads or  juncion boxes to deal with that make things a little easier.

what you probably will do is use wire nuts to connect the positives and negatives of each module together.  then pull 1 positive and one negative to the sunsaver.  or

assuming the modules are right next to each other, you could prob stick both leads on the sunsaver because their gauge is pretty small.

again, this is not a standard application, i would not recommend that this is done.  pv modules are not to be employed inside.

for something like you are doing, there are easier plug and play components that involve little or no hardwiring.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Backup-Power/Go-Power-Duralite-Solar-Charger-Module-10W/p5745/

http://store.altenergystore.com/Backup-Power/Xantrex-XPower-PowerPack-600HD-Backup/p2619/

-- for two of them, double lugging the sunsaver is probably no big deal, but a polaris connector or wire nut could also work.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

10 Posts
Apr 1, 2008 03:09 pm

Thanks, yes I can see how the Xantrex PowerPack is a great option for my situation. What kind of wiring should I use between the charge controller and the Xantrex?

Do you have a link to a polaris connector or a wire nut? I'm not familiar with what these are.

I'm actually looking to install the panel in the window, much like my window air conditioning unit. So while technically the panel is indoors, it will get direct sun.

Thanks.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!