12 volts systems

4 Posts
Mar 29, 2008 09:41 pm
12 volts systems

Can I have 5 12 volt batterys & connect 10 6 volt batterys to the 12 volt batterys? Also would you show me how to connect them? Or do you think I would be better off just with the 6 volt batterys? & how would I wire them? Thank you Ron.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2008 11:26 am by Roberta McElwain »

578 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 09:40 am
Re: 12 volts systems

i would not suggest doing that.  only like batteries should be connected.  the charging and discharging of unlike batteries will probably wreck the whole group because of differences in their construction and resistances.

generally we avoid connecting more than three series strings of batteries in parallel.

check out home power magazine issue 114 for an article about batteries. www.homepower.com

james,
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am

Thank you for your quick response!!!! I will check out the article and heed your advice. Thanks again.

184 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Roberta,

Since it's not a good idea to parallel two battery banks made up of different types of batteries, here are a couple of ideas:

Morningstar makes a charge controller that can charge two separate battery banks.  You might also consider using a battery switch, perhaps to connect one battery bank or the other to your inverter. 

You could also come up with some sort of automatic switching scheme, possibly using a voltage-controlled switch. I'm probably going to use my Morningstar Relay Driver to do something like that, as I plan to replace my still-good battery bank in the near future.

I hope you'll let us know what you've decided.

John

4 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 01:40 pm

John, Do you think I should just use my 6 volt batterys? I have 10 of them. Could send me a sketch on how to wire them so I make up a 12 system? Thank you for your reply. Ron & Roberta.

184 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 08:39 pm

If you already have the 6-volt batteries, and their in good shape, why not use them? 

I'm not sure how to include a sketch, so I'll explain this way:

Think of your ten 6-volt batteries as five pairs of two batteries. For each pair, add a wire from the positive terminal of one to the negative terminal of the other.  Now you have five positive terminals and five negative terminals that have no wires on them.  Connect wires to join all five positive terminals together.  Connect wires to join all five negative terminals together.  You now have a series-parallel wired, 12-volt battery bank. (It will be easier to understand if you draw this as I've described).

By the way, if each of your six volt batteries is rated at 100ah, you now have a 500ah battery bank (not a 1000ah battery bank as you might expect).  This is due to the series-parallel wiring.

John   

4 Posts
Mar 30, 2008 09:07 pm

John, The light bulb finally came on. Thank you very much for your help. We live 9 miles off the grid up in the mountains of Northern Az. I've asked alot of people but really couldn't get it work. When I drew it, it made more sense Thank you again & take care Ron.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!