Solar Generator

2 Posts
Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm
Solar Generator

Hey all i am a true newbie. I am still in college and am interested in seeing if i can build a solar generator for cheep that could run my laptop. I am having trouble finding reliable information on how to build one and where i can get the solar panels. If anybody can help that would be great

26 Posts
Feb 28, 2008 05:02 am
Re: Solar Generator

Hello Natalie
 Just how much is ...cheap?

They have solar laptop cases..

Look in this sites store, under backup power. They have many to choose from.Some of those back up systems will accept solar panel charging such as the Xantrex X1500 Power pack.That unit may be a bit large or pricey compared to what you want (i think its cheap)$299 + Small solar panel $100.00 + controller $55.00.

They have much smaller units that will be even more reasonable than that but you need to think about "run time" of devices and think now ,if you might want to run a couple other things later it may be a bit better to go a little larger off the bat.

If you call the store, They will be more than happy to assist you.They can explain it much better than me and answer any of your questions.

P.S. Solar power can be addicting :>)

Heres a link to the page on backup power systems
http://store.altenergystore.com/Backup-Power/c523/
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 05:10 am by Robert Clay »

2 Posts
Feb 28, 2008 09:29 am

Thank you, it was the solar cases that inspired me to make the generator, i am just looking to see if i can creat a useable generator. I am not looking to actually buy the generator or something like it.

Feb 28, 2008 03:05 pm

Hi Natalie, I think there might be a little confussion in terminology. I am not sure I know what a "solar generator" is. I have seen a thing in a Si-fi movie (Pitch Black) that could be construed as a "solar generator" but other than that I would tend to think you mean what is commonly referred to as a photovoltaic (PV) module. They are even called "solar panels" at times but that can be misleading too because the same term can apply to a solar thermal panel for heating air or water.

Building a PV module can be tricky. Growing the Silicon ingots that PV cells are sliced from even more so.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1169

Hope this helps. One other item that might be of intrest follows. Think of it in a smaller scale as one of those table top Christmas ornaments, the one thats a whirlygig automaton with candles burning under a horizontal propeller.

http://www.enviromission.com.au/index.htm

26 Posts
Feb 29, 2008 05:25 am

Natalie
OK ,I got it now.
Hope it works out for you . Let us know.

Now, to see if that movie "Pitch black" is available.
Lol :>)

Mr Schmidt, Thanks for mentioning that movie. Never realized there were some good Solar Sci Fi Flix.sounds entertaining with a twist.Any other good ones ?

Rob

Mar 3, 2008 04:45 am

Uh, well Robert, Natalie, and anyone else reading this, before you go and rent the movie, or whatever, you should know that its main story line is not really solar oriented. Its main story line is about an escaped convict/murderer. Its especially not for the squeamish or faint of heart.

As for other Sci-fi movies with RE... Its pretty much the same. Through out the movie you get glimpses of RE stuff but thats really not what the theme of the movie is. Kind of like in Star Wars. You see all kinds of futuristic stuff but the story is really about two androids.

52 Posts
Mar 3, 2008 06:32 pm

While this is off topic from the OP, there was that movie "Chain Reaction". I don't recall it being very good, but it was SciFi and it did deal with RE (sorta). I think the story was about someone who builds a machine to turn water into energy and then some baddies try and steal/suppress the technology. It seems like in a lot of SciFi they are able to write their way around the whole energy question, be it Tylium Ore or Dilithium Crystals - but not a whole lot that deals with the energy issue directly (unless the energy source happens to be on some planet surrounded by cyclons, ect....

26 Posts
Mar 4, 2008 05:51 am

Thomas , Chris
Thanks for the info. You guy`s are funny and fun to talk to.
You also make it fun to shop at your store.

Heard there might be a movie out starring Chris,

"The Costa Rican Project" ...Just a rumor.... Lol.

Thomas,
 Thanks for mentioning the terminology also,Mistakenly in my review of the Xantrex 1500
I,started out calling it a solar generator , the day it was printed, it was noticed but i, could not find a way to edit the review.
 Can you guy`s let me know how to fix that, or, you can delete it and i could do another one.

Do not want to mislead anyone and that has bothered me some.

Natalie , Want to go see a b rated movie ? 

Thanks for the fun
 Rob :>)

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!