Solar powered Low voltage lighting.

2 Posts
Feb 15, 2008 08:57 am
Solar powered Low voltage lighting.

I live in south florida and I am interested in setting up solar accent outdoor lighting at my house. I will have a total of 1,000 watts of lights. Is it possible to combine a solar panel to a 12 volt rechargable battery pack and photocell and run low voltage wiring to the light fixtures?

Anthony

578 Posts
Feb 15, 2008 11:27 am
Re: Solar powered Low voltage lighting.

do a loads list.  without knowing how long you intend to run the lights, nobody will be able to tell you.  Either way I bet that will be very expensive.  why such energy intensive lighting?

http://store.altenergystore.com/calculators/load_calculator/

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Feb 16, 2008 01:22 pm

Its all in the math. Well, and the pocket book.
1000 watts at 12 vdc equals 84 amps.
Wow! You could just about weld steel with that.
In south Florida you get an average of around 5 to 6 hours of equivalent full rated charge from a PV module annually.
So, 1000 watts divided by 5 equals nothing less than a 200 watt PV array. More would be better! Say a 400 watt PV array.
As for battery storage. We know that a minimum of 83 amps per hour is needed. If lights burn for a yearly average of 10 hours per night then we have a minimum battery capacity of 830 amp hours at 12 vdc.
At bare minimum 200 to 400 watt PV array, 830 to 1000 amp hours at 12 vdc battery bank.
Anything less than this and you will not be satisfied with the system. Of course if your on the grid then grid power can make up the slack. Don't skimp on the wire size though. As with any low voltage system including accent lighting do line loss calculations and when in doubt always go to the next size up.

Or you could just add the PV array with a grid tie inverter to your existing grid service. No battery replacement needed and you can add more PV array as time and or money allows. Just size the inverter for future expansion of course. Good hunting.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008 01:26 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

163 Posts
Feb 18, 2008 09:03 am

I will have a total of 1,000 watts of lights.

This looks like an ideal situation to go with LED bulbs. LED's are expensive, but you could probably get the same amount of lumens of light using only a tenth of the power, and with a longer life span they would pay for themselves in less than five years. The electric grid, wherever it is available, will always be much cheaper than a solar solution, so don't look to solar as a cost-effective solution to any power requirements.

2 Posts
Feb 18, 2008 11:02 am

Thank you very much.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!