Auxiliary Relays

3 Posts
Dec 9, 2007 12:43 pm
Auxiliary Relays

I want to take advantage of the auxiliary relays on my xantrex 4048 inverter. My understanding is the relays can be set based on voltage and they send an on/off low current signal to a relay switch that can then power a higher current device. I have been having a hard time finding an appropriate relay product, does anyone know how to do this? I need about 20-30 amps.

I also noticed my outback mx60 charge controller has a 12 vdc auxiliary relay, I'd be happy to use this device too.

I have found some relays at Radio Shack and Grainger but I don't have enough background to understand how they work and how to install them.

I recently put up a 3Kw wind generator at my very windy location and suddenly have more power than I know what to do with on windy days. Right now the excess power gets dumped on a dc heater dump load in my shed. I'd like to use it for something more useful, space heater in my house, electric water heat, water pumping, etc. We just had back to back wind storms and I had about 20-30 kwh extra per day. I am looking to my auxiliary relay (ac or dc) to play a role in power dumping (with the heater dump load in the shed always on-line for heavy lifting/safety).

Any advice or product tips would be great...

-Ben

65 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 09:39 am
Re: Auxiliary Relays

Hi Ben,
We offer high power relays just for the purpose that you mention. See here:
http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/High-Current-Relays/c642/

You can hook these higher power relays up to the low power relay of your Xantrex inverter. The high current connection of the relays would be connected to your battery bank and whatever dump load device you'd prefer. We offer air heating resistors and hot water tank elements for optional dump loads. See here:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/Dump-Loads-Dump-Load-Controllers/Diversion-LoadsDump-Loads/c516/

And it sounds like you have some other creative and good ideas to use with that excess energy.

Hope that helps!

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/

3 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 01:01 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful...

-Ben

3 Posts
Dec 20, 2007 05:09 pm

Thanks for your reply, is there a way to switch 120 VAC devices in addition to DC with the auxiliary relays on my xantrex inverter? If so, do you have any devices that would do this?

-Ben

65 Posts
Dec 21, 2007 10:27 am

I could be wrong here, but I believe you can do that with those same beefy relays we offer. They are capable of carrying a high amount of DC amps which tend to clamp contacts. AC on the other hand for the same amperage doesn't clamp the contacts as much. So my theory is that if you use DC for controlling the relay (from the Xantrex inverter's relay) and then AC on the other side of the relay, it should work (as long as you're not going over the amperage rating).

We've never tried this and I haven't heard of anyone using these relays for this purpose, so I could be completely wrong. But in theory I think this should work.

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!