Can you charge a battery using man made energy?

1 Posts
Dec 8, 2007 09:59 pm
Can you charge a battery using man made energy?

This is probably a stupid question,but we have been seeing the cranking flashlights and foot pump batteries and were wondering if there is any way to charge a battery for a generator using a treadmill or excercise bike or anything along that line? Wow get your excercise and save on energy at the same time. Now that would be cool. Thanks

97 Posts
Dec 9, 2007 12:57 am
Re: Can you charge a battery using man made energy?

Yes, Mitzi, you surely can do this.  I saw a program on SCI channel called "cool fuel" where this was done.  In WWII, they used hand crank generators to power two way radios in this manner.  For a bike, it is just a matter of gearing a generator to the wheel or pedals, in some manner.  There are generators for bicycles that are used for lighting.  I am thinking that you would not get a large amount of power this way, however, since the human machine is rated at only 1/4 horsepower. :-)

Dec 9, 2007 07:30 am

One quarter horsepower, I did not know that. There would be a question of endurance as well.
This may be getting a little off the subject but, if one were able to marry the heavy steel flywheel generator technology to all of the stationary exercise devices, the kWh's out would continue for a time after the exercise routine. Brilliant idea Mitzi C.

I stepped out for just a minute to research this idea of yours and found this.
http://www.kronosport.com/

As I researched this idea, I became aware of the fact that its not an original idea.
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments_bicycle.html
(check the links at top of this site)
Could it be that this is "the day the music died?" I mean potentially there could come a day when every conceivable arrangement of notes has been thought of (possible but not probable) as well as every idea to be thunk, has been thought of. But luckily, like loosing the energy of our Sun, we are confident that this will not happen for billions of years.

So far I have not found where anyone has married the heavy steel flywheel to a stationary exercise device. We still have variations on a theme! But there is still that age old question, one that will last until the end of time, "who will fund the project?"

http://pepei.pennnet.com/display_article/285430/6/ARTCL/none/none/Energy-Storage-Systems-Get-a-New-Spin/

Could it be that the Ancient Egyptians had the right idea way back when for us today? Think about the potential of thousands (millions  maybe) of people going to work each day, working out on all of the various exercise machines, generating electricity, gaining personal health and fitness (and possibly the physique of an Ancient Greek), while getting paid!
Health, wealth, and clean renewable electricity. Whats else could one ask for? Mitzi C. your a genius!

Well? Who's ready for a little exercise? Ooohh, what is that? Moaning and groaning I hear? What if you were getting paid? What if you could have the figure of a Greek god or goddess? Or the endurance of an Ironman triathlete? Who knows, maybe even a better sex life, ehh? Wouldn't it all be worth it? And, you would be getting paid!

But who to fund it?

184 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 10:42 am

Ed Begley Jr. rides a stationary bicycle to produce electricity.  He uses that energy to make toast, but you could just as easily use it to charge a battery. 

Check him out:

http://www.livingwithed.net/

John

1 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 03:17 pm

Harris hand-crank 60-watt generator for charging 12 or 24-volt batteries:
http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/products/tactical-radio-communications/12027-0000-01.pdf

9 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 06:14 pm

Yikes! 

60 watts and you crank it for an hour to get... 0.06KWH!

That's a lot of cranking for not a whole lot of energy.

Can anyone calculate the calories you'd burn in the process?

Interesting idea, but I'll stick to lounging in my lawn chair while I capture the sun's much more plentiful energy. 

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!