12v system for 120sqft cabin

1 Posts
Nov 25, 2007 08:46 pm
12v system for 120sqft cabin

Hi, I'm a newbe.  I'm building a small cabin on a mountain top in east TN and would like to provide lighting and power for perhaps a fan and radio.  The idea would be to go with a 12v system and use a limited number of appliances running off a battery(s) that would be recharged by a solar panel.  Past that I'm clueless.  I've been reading on this site and I think I will need at least one good solar panel in the 50-60 watt range that would connect to the battery via a charger but, I need advice.  I don't plan to heat or cool the cabin using this system, just run a few small low draw electric appliances likely to be designed to be used in RVs and camping.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I realize that I may not know enough to even know what I should be asking...

578 Posts
Nov 26, 2007 10:42 am
Re: 12v system for 120sqft cabin

welcome!  we field this question 20 times a day, and if the phone stopped ringing, we would get around to doing a cool video to help.
FIRST do a loads list!

http://store.altenergystore.com/calculators/load_calculator/

often renewable energy conversations are similar to this hypotheical story

a guy walks into a gas station and asks the clerk, I hear you sell fuel here.  clerk says um, yeah.  guy asks how much fuel do i need?  clerk responds where are you going.  guy says i dont know just tell me the average, roughly how much fuel do i need.  clerk shakes his head and says i cant tell you, what if you are going two blocks or what if you are driving to LA.  guy pleads for any answer because he does not know where he wants to go.  clerk says without knowing how far you want to go, i cant figure how much fuel you need to get there.

the moral of this story is that there is no average, no magic size solar that will or wont work.  so the clerk will need to know what you are trying to accomplish, namely the loads that will then drive what components are needed.  any solar will help to charge a battery, but if the goal is to run things that you want with reliable power, we will need to know some details.

answer these questions and write back, and free advice will likely come quickly.

1.  how many watt-hours per day
2.  ac or dc loads or both
3.  how is cabin used (weekends? everyday for a week? all summer?)
4.  do you have a good south facing exposure without shading
5.  is there another source of power
6.  how many days do you want your stuff to work without sunshine
7.  do you have a budget number in mind, what is the process if the project based on your homework exceeds the budget (scrap project, eliminate loads, add generator)

good luck with the homework,

james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!