Harold Jobe's posts

Posted by Harold Jobe on Apr 9, 2014 08:58 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: House clocks losing time...
Problem fixed. I upgraded my Generac 8kw to a 20kw and the clock in my gas stove has been dead on time.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Feb 24, 2014 09:15 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Update: it works great. I even upgraded from my 8k to a 20k Guardian whole house genset. They all utilize the N1/N2 240v to detect loss of shore power. You will only have to connect the relay to one leg (N1 or N2). The relay mentioned earlier will require a B+ voltage (48v in my case from my batteries) to energies the relay. The AGS does the actual switching to enable or disable N1.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Jan 19, 2014 07:27 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Generator Start Module wiring
Actually it can be setup to work for around $20 bucks. It was discussed here. http://www.altestore.com/forums/Renewable-Energy/Technical-Discussion-Other/XW-Auto-Generator-Start-and-Centurion-8k/index.php/topic,2088.15.html

It works on pretty much any Generac whole house generator that uses N1/N2 to detect grid power. For off grid systems simply connect 240v from your inverter to simulate shore power.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Dec 4, 2013 09:46 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Although the programmable timer switch is working very well for me I have some new info. I have called Xantrex tech support about the AGS/Centurion comparability issue several times with no resolution, I had never called sense Schneider Electric purchased them.

The other day I called Schneider's tech support and they knew exactly what I was talking about and had a solution. Adolfo (the tech) said to use the AGS type 14 setup on a  Orion 4 pole Relay Contactor 2 NO 2 NC Auxiliaries 48 VDC and even provided a link to a EBay site http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151029478532?lpid=82 so I ordered one. It is expected delivery tomorrow. It uses the AGS to energize/deenergize the relay that is connected to the N1/N2 240v on the generator. We will see.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 22, 2013 07:30 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Yesterday I ordered a programable light switch. I can program a 7 day schedule to turn on my Guardian (by replacing the switch I put on the N1, N2 from the generators 240 volt sensor). I plan to have it fire up the generator each evening for 2 hrs (two hours charges my battery bank in the winter). NOT the best solution but it works in a pinch.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 20, 2013 04:31 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: House clocks losing time...
I have had the same problem for 4 yrs. I have had my 8kw Guardian serviced several times and no change. I gave up and purchased a clock that is not 60 cycle power dependant ie. Digital.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 20, 2013 04:25 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Shurflo DC Surface Water Pump Question
Pretty sure it is something like 15 feet to meet the flow rate they advertise. Any longer will work but reduce the flow rate.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 20, 2013 04:23 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
alt-E really should have been ontop of this issue by now. There are many, many  off-grid customers out there who have went to Lowes and purchased one of these Guardian 8kw generators. There tech support relationship with Xantrax should work to solve the problem. Xantrax wont give us nobodies the answers we need  Give us the option if we want to void our generator warranty or not.  We have gave big money to Alt-E and they should be getting us answers.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 20, 2013 04:17 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Actually you can tap into the 240v in your main house panel connect to the N1, N2 at the generator. I added a on/off switch to one of the 110v legs. The generator senses the open/close of the switch and will start/stop the generator. This does not get me to the stage I really want to be at and that is to interface the gen to my AGS. Still need to come up a 2 input latching low voltage 12/24vdc relay to open/close the N1/N2 leg.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Aug 1, 2011 12:53 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: House clocks losing time...
New reply to an old post:

I have had the same issue for nearly 2 yrs. I also have the same Xantrex controller. When the generator is running the digital clocks speed up or lose time. I have a propane 8kw Guardian generator and a backup 8kw Generac both do the same thing.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 18, 2009 07:04 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Chris,
The other 3 wires are +12v, common and return. One other thing, I added a 1.5 amp motorcycle trickle charger to the system. Used the ground and one 110v leg from the breaker. It only changes when the generator runs but it seems to keep the battery charged just fine.

On the AGS side of the house. I plan to connect the N1 and N2 wires up to my Xantrex inverter so the generator knows it is getting the correct voltage. Will be in uncharted territory after that. May try to add a relay to the start wire on the AGS to the Manual start and another relay for the shut down.

I will have to order the relays first so It may take a little time before I move forward. Until then it's working in Manual mode.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Oct 16, 2009 07:37 am

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Chris,
Although I am not completely done yet I do know that the connector with the 2 yellow wires are N1 and N2 that monitor 220 (N1 on one 110v and N2 on the other 110v line).

I believe that Option 13 is already available on mine also even though I spent the $40 to rent one from Xantrex. Turns out it is only for Windows and I have a Mac.

At this point I plan to not use the relay control box that came with the generator package. I may opt to add a simple relay to by-pass the switch when the generator gets the control to start/stop. There has not been enough technical info on anyone who actually has the generator up and running.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Sep 28, 2009 08:18 pm

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Generator Start Module wiring
Michael,
I also have an 8kw Centurion generator by Generac. Plan to install it on my Xantrex 2.46kw off grid system. Any advice or wiring tips you can give on using their AGS would be appreciated.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Sep 28, 2009 06:40 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Owen,
So far so good. I called Xantrex and asked about the AGS firmware update. They offered me a loaner configuration tool for just s/h for a 30 day use.

Any heads up you can provide on the procedure for the firmware update would be appreciated. They told me to give them a call but my off-grid system is really out there in the boonies. No phone, no wireless signal either.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Sep 27, 2009 08:23 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Owen, Thanks for the feedback. Let me make sure I am on the same page. When I call Xantrex and mention to them that I need a "Upgrade tool" for their AGS they will know what I am asking for?

Although I am a pretty good computer guy, how is the AGS firmware loaded to the AGS?

Last thing. Can you explain more about suing 1 leg instead of the 2 wire?

This is the last leg of my fully Off-Grid Xantrex 2.46kw install. So far all is operating just fine. With winter coming upon us I would really like to get this Centurion (Generac) up and running.

Posted by Harold Jobe on Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > XW Auto Generator Start and Centurion 8kw Generator
Trying to get clarity if the Centurion 8kw generator has the start/shut-down functionality needed  to interface with the XW AGS controls. Is anyone out there using this combination?

The XW AGS specs mention that it is compatible with many "Popular" generators and with either two-wire or three-wire start controls. It would be nice to mention what is considered popular.

I have looked at Centurion webpage but not much refers to auto start controls with the exception of sensing "loss of power".

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!