Guy M's posts

Posted by Guy M on Jan 1, 2015 11:25 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: El Sid pump problems
I have used El Sid pumps for over 13 years and learned early on to orient the pipe vertically so any trapped air can rise through the pump body.  The driver should be horizontal to prevent the impeller from riding hard on the bearing at each end. 

I too, have lost a few to lightning strikes.  I learned to GROUND all collector and copper plumbing to prevent damage to the electronics in these pumps.  Grounding is very important and should be done properly.  I also had professional lightning protection installed on my building after a very close major lightning strike that took out a tree about 10ft from my building.  Any metal on your roof (collectors + solar panels) can attract lightning with devastaing results.

Posted by Guy M on Sep 27, 2010 10:34 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: PV powered circulator pump for AET solar hot water system undersized PV panel
You should always size your PV panel so that you have at least double the watts of the pump in northern latitudes.  EG. 20W panel with 10W pump. 

But then you also should install a PV powered differential controller to guarantee that the pump never runs when the collectors are cooler than the tank.  Also to limit the max temperature in your tank.

You can get a PV differential controller direct from ArtTecSolar.com

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!