Dave C's posts

Posted by Dave C on Jan 5, 2011 08:46 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Small Wind Power > Re: PMA wild voltage output.
I'm Dave C also from NY. Never served. I guess we have two Dave C's on the board.

Posted by Dave C on Jan 5, 2011 08:44 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Off Grid Propane Fired Radiant Heat
Tom,
Thanks for the input. I have decided to use one larger on-demand unit to do both my radiant and domestic hot water and incorporate a heat exchanger in the loop. This would require two pumps (grundfos alpha series) controlled by one thermostat/ relay.
My radiant system is also backup heat but will be the main source for the remained of construction. We'll build a masonry heater in the spring/ summer.
The Takagi H2 seems to fit the bill nicely and with it's condensing feature I can run PVC pipe instead of stainless class 3 for the vent.
What are the components of your custom 12v relays/ thermostats?
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Dec 29, 2010 10:07 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Off Grid Propane Fired Radiant Heat
Hello All,
I'm in the process of hooking up my radiant heat system for my off grid home and had a couple of questions.
A quick run down of my system:
1.2k array
900 amp hour battery bank wired @ 24v
4000k inverter

I am installing a closed loop system. One zone with two 200' loops (in slab) to be fired by a propane on-demand unit (Tagaki jr2 or a Navien 180, havn't decided yet).
Does anyone know what type of circulator pump would work best for this system? I was thinking of a 24v dc pump. Anyone have preferences over brand and/or type?

I also thought hooking up the thermostat to the circulator pump would be the best way to run the system since the on-demand unit is activated by flow. Any suggestions/ recommendations/specs, etc. on that would be helpful especially a link to a diagram.

Thanks for any input.
Dave C

Posted by Dave C on Nov 20, 2010 08:40 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: Inverter, E-panel, charge controller pre wired for sale $2000
This equipment has been sold.
Thanks Alt-E and thanks John for the purchase.

Posted by Dave C on Nov 15, 2010 07:39 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Need CC-20 Charge Controller by Heliotrope wiring diagram
I may too. I'll look. At the very least I have a home made diagram that I could send to you.
Dave C.

Posted by Dave C on Nov 15, 2010 07:29 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: Inverter, E-panel, charge controller pre wired for sale $2000
Tom,
Certainly not a bad idea but when building a house every dime counts and it couldn't be entered into the equation.
The sale of this could get us an on-demand hot water heater, or flooring, or the custom upstairs window not to be found in any catalog.
It's a solid piece of equipment that should be put to good use.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Nov 15, 2010 02:00 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Need CC-20 Charge Controller by Heliotrope wiring diagram
I have the same controller on a smaller system of mine.
Wiring:
Black - Ground
Red - Battery 1
Orange - Battery 2
Yellow - PV + (positive)
Green - PV - (negative)

Hope that helps
Dave C

Posted by Dave C on Nov 15, 2010 11:04 am

#8 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Inverter, E-panel, charge controller pre wired for sale $2000
Off-grid Inverter/ Charger / Charge Controller mounted on a E-Panel making installation easy. This is plug and play equipment and one would only have to add solar panels and batteries.

This package was in use for only 25 days. This is top of the line equipment. For all intents and purposes it is brand new. Please research and price out the individual components and you will not be disappointed.Then take into consideration it's pre-wired!!
 I originally purchased this unit through altestore.com and have all the original packaging and instruction manuals.

CUSTOM PRE-WIRED FROM FACTORY:
1. Midnight Solar E-Panel MNE250STM Left Hinge
2. Magnum Inverter/ Charger RD3924, 3900 watt, 24 volt, modified wave
3. Outback Solar MX60 Charge Controller
Free: Battery Temp Sensor

My wife and I have purchased a bigger system which is now up and running and the one for sale here has been crated and wrapped and is ready for pick up or shipping.
We paid $3,300 for this brand new. Definitely taking a bit of a hit on this and wished we had built our house first.
I will deliver within a reasonable distance or meet half way. Pictures available upon request.
Dave C.
518 644-2719 (calling is best)
shackvalley(at)gmail.com
Bolton Landing, NY

Posted by Dave C on May 24, 2010 05:10 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: Charger/ Inverter/ Charge Controller/ E-Panel For Sale
Price: $2300

Posted by Dave C on May 24, 2010 04:55 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Charger/ Inverter/ Charge Controller/ E-Panel For Sale
Off-grid Inverter/ Charger / Charge Controller mounted on a E-Panel making installation easy. This is would be considered the brains of the operation. To have a complete solar power system one would only have to add solar panels and batteries.

This package was in use for only 25 days. This is top of the line equipment. For all intents and purposes it is brand new. Please research and price out the individual components and you will not be disappointed.Then take into consideration it's pre-wired!!
 I originally purchased this unit through altestore.com and have all the original instruction manuals.

CUSTOM PRE-WIRED FROM FACTORY:
1. Midnight Solar E-Panel MNE250STM Left Hinge
2. Magnum Inverter/ Charger RD3924, 3900 watt, 24 volt, modified wave
3. Outback Solar MX60 Charge Controller
Free: Battery Temp Sensor

My wife and I have purchased a bigger system which is now up and running and the one for sale here has been crated and wrapped and is ready for shipping or delivery.
We paid $3,300 for this brand new. Definitely taking a bit of a hit on this and wished we had built our house first.
I will deliver within a reasonable distance or meet half way. Pictures available upon request.
Dave C.
518 644-2719 (calling is best)
shackvalley(at)gmail.com
Bolton Landing, NY

Posted by Dave C on Sep 16, 2009 07:42 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On demand hot water
Mark,
Not quite sure how that works. You'd need to have the inverter running all the time I guess.
Maybe it would be worth running a very small dedicated inverter for only the on-demand and let your main inverter rest.
I'm sure it would only need a modified auto parts store inverter...maybe 400 watts depending on the unit.
If the on-demand unit had a pilot light it may not require 110 AC unit its called for, thus waking up your inverter.
Also the the micro-hydro igniters in some Bosch models may work the same.
Let me know if you figure anything out.
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Sep 11, 2009 08:08 pm

#12 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On demand hot water
Tom,
Thank you for the info.
I'm looking in to the Takagi now and it seems to be well suited for my needs. I'm going to call the manufacturer and find out what the draw is when idle. I'm sure it's not much.
I'm looking at a larger model than the JR. and it draws less amps with a higher BTU range.
We'll be digging a well on Monday or Tuesday and depending on how much gallons per minute we get at around 150' (all we can afford) will determine if we need to build a cistern in the basement. If we do, I'd love to see photos of your design.
Thanks again,
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Sep 7, 2009 09:09 am

#13 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On demand hot water
Thanks Tom. I will look into the Noritz line and see what they have to offer.

Posted by Dave C on Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am

#14 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On demand hot water
Without going into crazy detail about my site, it's just not well suited for SHW. I'm really just looking for information for off-grid on demand hot water. I'm dialed into everything I could do for SHW and have determined its just not in the cards at this time given the logistics and the money so.....
As of now I'm building an off-grid, strawbale, timberframe home I've designed and milled all the lumber myself and know the in's and outs of my site to that end.
Any input on a model would sure be helpful.
Thanks.

Posted by Dave C on Aug 27, 2009 01:11 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On demand hot water
Tom,
It will be a year round home and my refrigerator (already in use) is propane as will be my hot water.
My "solar window," where my PV panels are located, is about 100' down hill from the house and is already beyond the re-design stage to accommodate for solar hot water (no mount, no roof, no-go)
Everything is up and running and I'm not buying any new PV panels (8-130 Kyocera's) to accommodate an on demand hot water unit.
I will definitely invest slowly into solar hot water in the future. One step at a time and I know propane is good back up (as is solar) to pump through radiant flooring when we are away on vacation (if ever)in our cold dark winters.
The BTU rating of 175,000 is needed given it will be our only source of hot water and the runs it will make throughout the home.
Thanks for the input.
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Aug 26, 2009 09:37 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > On demand hot water
Hello,
I am building a off-grid home in upstate NY and need to install a propane on-demand hot water unit. Eventually I will incorporate solar hot water but given the fact I'm near broke, it'll have to wait.
The system I have is a 1K array with 16 Trojan T-105's. I see 6K per day in the summer and probably 3.5K - 4K in the winter.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a unit that only draws a mere trickle of electricity when not in use and only runs temp controls when in use.
I know Bosch makes one that turns on with water pressure but it's BTU rating is too small for our household needs.
175,000 BTU range would be about right and no standing pilot is a must.
Thanks with any input.
Dave C.

Posted by Dave C on Aug 26, 2009 09:08 pm

#17 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Help for newbe?
Hello,
Your situation sound s perfect for what I'm selling on this forum.
http://www.altestore.com/forums/Renewable-Energy/For-Sale/Pre-Wired-E-Panel-Inverter-Charger-Ch/index.php/topic,2032.0.html
I bought this system and later regretted not sizing my system properly for our new home. We went a little bigger and now am trying to sell this near brand new system.
It would be well suited for the size array you have ordered and it is very easy to set up.
As the others have mentioned, you should really determine your average watt hours and most definitely upgrade you batteries. I have 16 Trojan T-105's for my system and it has served me well.
Best of luck.
Dave

Posted by Dave C on Aug 3, 2009 09:50 pm

#18 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Pre-Wired E-Panel, Inverter, Charger, Charge Controller
Pre-Wired Solar Inverter/Charger/Controller

This is a Inverter/ Charger / Charge Controller mounted on a E-Panel making instillation easy.
I bought this late last year from Alternative Energy. com and hooked it up in May of this year. For all intents and purposes it is brand new and is still under warranty.

PRE-WIRED:
Midnight Solar E-Panel MNE250STM Left Hinge
Magnum Inverter/ Charger RD3924, 3900 watt, 24 volt, modified wave
Outback Solar MX60 Charge Controller
Free: Temp Sensor

My wife and I would like to go a bit bigger on a new system and need new equipment. I am definitely taking a bit of a hit on this and wished we had waited before building our home.
Asking price is at $2850 and would like to avoid shipping but could work something out if need be.  New cost is $3160 plus shipping. I will deliver within a reasonable distance or meet half way.
Dave C.
518 644-2719
shackvalley(at)gmail.com
Bolton Landing, NY

Posted by Dave C on Mar 31, 2009 02:03 pm

#19 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: On Demand Hot Water
Hi Amy,

The on demand unit is going into a new home so I have to start with a full time water heater and then work my way back to solar hot water, water cooled generator, masonry stove, etc...
I live in upstate NY and its not unusual to have 2-3 days without sun.
Money is also an issue. So for now if I have to choose between the two, I have to start with something 100% reliable.
On of the problems in finding a unit is determining the amount of electricity being used while heating the water.
Most have an electronic ignition which is no problem, but I'd hate to be drawing anything substantial while taking a shower or doing dishes.
Thanks, and when I'm ready for solar hot water I know where to turn.

Dave C.

Posted by Dave C on Mar 23, 2009 08:22 pm

#20 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > On Demand Hot Water
Hello All,

I need to purchase a on-demand propane water heater.
I'm off grid with a 1K array and a 880 amp hour battery bank
and I'd like to be able run a shower and wash dishes at the same time. My water line runs are relatively short and the unit will be located centrally.
Looking in the 175,000 btu range or higher.
Can anyone recommend one that requires very little electricity and wont keep my 4k inverter running all the time?
I really like the Bosch models that dont require electricity and have the hydro igniter, but they seem to be too small.
I should also add my budget of about $1200
Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Posted by Dave C on Mar 4, 2009 09:48 pm

#21 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: AC amps - DC amps
Thomas,

I had another thought along the same lines as my first question:

Running an adjustable 140 amp MIG welder from the generator. I'd hesitate putting a meter on the output to check the voltage though. Yikes!
It's powered from a 120v wall outlet with a 20 amp breaker.
Same idea I guess.

Posted by Dave C on Mar 4, 2009 09:43 pm

#22 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: AC amps - DC amps
Thats what I was looking for! Thanks.
I wasnt sure if it was that simple in fact and I also think I had a difficult time determining the passage of power through all the components.
Another lesson for me that the simplest answer is usually the best/ correct.
The first link is great.
The others I would have to read more. Except maybe the universal wavelength one. I think I've had great conversations with trekies and hippies alike on that one and now makes a little more sense in hindsight.
Thank you, Thank you,
Thanks you! 

Posted by Dave C on Mar 4, 2009 09:40 am

#23 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: AC amps - DC amps
Thanks but I'm still not clear on one thing...how is my generators maximum amperage of 33 able to go to the 60 amps I have seen?
I guess forget the sentence "formula for ac amps to dc amps."
What is the math, theory, idea of having a capped amperage output from one source go through another to be increased. (if that makes any sense)   

I understand heat, wire, and inefficiency losses and that no "formula" is absolute but there has to be a simple "rule of thumb" or "ball park."

The gen head is tapped for a full 120 volt through the transformer by reducing the voltage from 240 down to 120.
I could of hooked up one leg of 120 from the generator but I didn't want to wear down just one side of the head.

The generator doesnt have any sort of meaningful capacitors. Maybe just a few for the underside of the digital display.   

Posted by Dave C on Mar 3, 2009 09:29 pm

#24 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: AC amps - DC amps
I guess I'm still a bit confused.
Lets just say I have a regular 100 amp battery charger plugged into the 4K generator putting out 120 volt and charging a 12 volt battery.
What would be the maximum output amps of the charger if the batteries were low?

Posted by Dave C on Mar 3, 2009 04:22 pm

#25 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Need help with LED lighting
Thomas,

Here are some links to a few websites I found very helpful when I was tinkering with LED's

http://www.dansdata.com/caselight.htm

http://ledcalc.com/

http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

Hope they help.

Dave C.

Posted by Dave C on Mar 3, 2009 01:03 pm

#26 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > AC amps - DC amps
Hello all,

I've been trying to wrap my head around a couple of things lately and was hoping someone could shed some light.

AC amps to DC amps....whats the formula?

I understand an amp is an amp but isnt there a difference when dealing with the AC and DC and different voltages, watts, etc...

My system is as follows:

Lister generator 6 hp, 4k head, w/ two legs of 120v for 240 volt sent to a 240 - 120 volt transformer.
This is sent into a midnight solar e-panel with a modified magnum 3924 watt inverter/120 amp charger hanging on the front.
The battery bank is made up of 16 Trojan T-105's hooked up in strings of 4 for a 24 volt bank.

If my generator puts out 33.3 amps at 120 volt and half that amperage for 240, what amperage is actually being sent to the charger and what is the formula to determine the maximum amount of amps being deliver into the battery bank?

Note: I have not discharged my batteries below maybe 75% so I have never seen the charger display read higher then 60 amps or so. 

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!