Chris Harris's posts

Posted by Chris Harris on Aug 14, 2006 04:17 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wind noise and vibration of wind generators roof mounted
I am thinking of mounting a couple of AIR X (marine version) on the roof of my house which is wooden with a steel roof.
I have read that noise and vibration are a big problem with roof mounted systems. My local dealer says this is much less of a problem these days with electronic braking and new blade designs.
Does anyone have any recent experience with the newer models of wind generator, especially AIR X ?

Posted by Chris Harris on Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Installation of Solar Panels in a Hurricane-prone area
Doug, I have replied direct to your e mail address.  If anyone else wants to share this info, let me know. I forgot to mention you can see pics of our place at www.steppingstonesBelize.com
Cheers, Chris

Posted by Chris Harris on Aug 13, 2006 06:48 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Installation of Solar Panels in a Hurricane-prone area
Hi Doug.  My wife and i have been living just north of Ronkey River in southern Belize for 18months now.  We have a Solar Power system which apart from one lightning strike has behaved immaculately.
To respond to your questions, firstly we used the mountings which were supplied with the panels.  basically this is an aluminium frame which screws into the roof. The legs which support the frame allow for limited elevation of the frame to allow the pv panels to be at the correct angle to maximise energy absorbtion. We have had some high winds in squalls over the past 18months but thankfully no hurricanes. Frankly, we are not going to risk life and limb climbing around on the roof putting plywood sheets in place for protection.  We are right on the beach, so flying debris is probably less of a risk than say further inland.  The panels are insured in any case.  if there is a hurricane, WE LEAVE!  With personal possessions, dogs, food cash and clothing.  We do of course have an emergency plan for evacuation.  The problem with making protection for panels (and everything else, eg windows, doors water supply etc) is that you may have several false alarms where the hurricane passes close but does not hit you.  In this case you will have to put on your protective panels and 8hours later take them off again.  last year we had several near misses. Constant on off on off would have driven us mad.  Best to K.I.S.S. Listen to Love FM and the NEMO releases and do as they say.
Your planned power consumption sounds about right.  We are averaging 56KW per week, but we do not have air conditioning as we get all the cooling we need from the almost constant on shore wind (which is free).  Take care positioning your house btw as it will make a big difference to how cool it gets inside.
The comment made by one of your responders concerning solar hot water is right.  Solar hot water is wonderful.  We have 24/7 hot (well nearly boiling actually) water.  It cost BZ$ 3000.00 and from now on its free!.
Right now we are looking at installing a couple of small wind generators just to top up our battery bank when we get low.  This is usually Nov-Jan.
If you need more info let me know or e mail me direct.
Good luck Chris

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!