Charles Harte's posts

Posted by Charles Harte on Aug 30, 2015 12:01 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Real world question
Hi Jocelyn, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunetly I am running a 24 volt system using 12 Rolls S 590 batteries and a Outback 24/2500 inverter.
So I guess am I wondering if in reality if the flex 80 can handle the wattage, granted it is over spec, but will it work. To replace the wiring would be a expensive and time consuming affair.. I have 1/0 wiring in a 1 1/2 conduit now. Poor planning on my part, but this is where I am at. I plan to upgrade the inverter, but was staying with 24v. This is kinda my biggest question right now. I will be calling as I have a few items to buy, but I understand you may be hesitent to offer an opinion that is not "textbook".

Posted by Charles Harte on Aug 22, 2015 05:13 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Real world question
I have a question about Charge Controllers and how much they can handle. I am in a position where I have increased my panel output but am unable to run wire for multiple Controllers it is a concrete structure with a embedded chase way. How much amps can a Flex 80 actually handle? I realize that it is rated for 80 amps, but i have to assume there is a design safety factor. I wish to run 12 Canadian Solar 255 panels. Again the wattage is over the rating as well. What in the real world would happen to the Controller if i did this. Last year I ran 9 through a flex 60.  The setup is in Jamaica so local Elect. code is not an issue. Thanks.

Posted by Charles Harte on Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Array wiring
Amy, Thanks I see what you mean and agree. I do happen to have a extra flex 80 that I haven't opened yet but with only 1 set of 1/0 wire going from my combiner to the CC a second CC would be useless, I do not have room in my conduit for a second run I also would prefer to use the higher voltage as opposed to 4 strings. My old Battery bank suffered a major problem last year with all the positive post terminals swelling and deforming the cases. ie. I was only using 6 evergreen 200 watt panels and believe I had outgrown my previous battery bank of 8 215  6volt batteries  wired for 24 volt. I have purchased 4 sets of mc4 cables but won't receive them till Thursday. With what Batteries cost I want to make sure I do the best I can. So with 2 sets of 6 panels wired for higher voltage you believe I will get enough amp to keep the batteries topped. I am currently using a flex 60 assuming I need to change to the 80?

Posted by Charles Harte on Jan 26, 2015 03:17 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Array wiring
Question I have 12 Canadian solar 255 watt panels. Is it better for me to series fewer panels to increase amps, or more panels to have a higher voltage. I have 12 Rolls S530 batteries configured for 24 volt. It was suggested that I wire 4 sets of 3 panels, as opposed to 2 sets of 6. wire size for voltage drop is not an issue. What would you suggest

Posted by Charles Harte on Feb 27, 2014 12:53 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Battery Problem
I have an off grid system here in Jamaica. Yesterday my system went south, the Charge Controller says that the Batteries are at 26.9-27.2 and says that they are floating but put a load on it and the inverter Faults and shuts down. I have (6) 200 watt Evergreen Panels, Outback CC, Outback2524 inverter and 8 215ah wired into 2 strings for 24 volt. Average use is 4.4 which I admit was more than I had expected so soon. Biggest thing is (6) batteries are @6.35 one is @7.64 and one is at 8.06. how can a 6 volt battery have more than 6.3 volts. I am able to run things off the panels but does anyone have any ideas

Posted by Charles Harte on Sep 8, 2010 07:11 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Panel wiring
James, Thanks for your reply. I Kind of figured that it would be safer using 2 strings. I came up with 2.5 percent voltage drop, but don't quite understand the current calculations??? Could you explain  Thanks

Posted by Charles Harte on Sep 2, 2010 09:16 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Panel wiring
I have 6 Evergreen 200 watt panels running into a Outback MX60 controller after a 70 ft. run, using 1/0 cable. I am switching from 12V to 24V. My question is is it better for me to connect all 6 panels in series, or break them up into strings (ex. 3 sets of 2, or 2 sets of 3 panels) into a combiner box. Either way I will be using the step down feature in the controller. Thanks

Posted by Charles Harte on Aug 11, 2009 04:53 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Pole Mounting - Use the Pole as Ground?
after reading that I have but 1 question, Since I have a reinforced concrete home  If I attach my ground from the panels to rebar that is connected to my foundation/footings would that act as ground for just my panels? I have a separate ground rod pounded in for the ground for the balance of system

Posted by Charles Harte on Apr 22, 2009 08:42 am

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Grounding panels
Thanks for your reply. If I am using 1/0 wire from the panels to the controller do I need to run that as my ground, and most important does that also work for lighting protection or do I need to run a separate cable for that. Thanks  Pharte76 @ comcast.net

Posted by Charles Harte on Apr 20, 2009 03:41 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Grounding panels
I am trying to find out the ground wiring sizes for a roof mounted array. Is the frame ground also the lighting ground, if not does the ground wire run ( in my case) inside the conduet or separately. I find lots of info on voltage drop but very little on ground. At present my ground wire #8 goes through the conduet, the disconnect(with lighting arrester) charge controller, circuit breaker to the lighting rod pounded into the ground next to my batteries. How did I do? What should I do if this is incorrect. Thanks for any and all help with this

Posted by Charles Harte on Jun 1, 2008 06:51 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > 12 volt system
Hi I'm wondering is there any real benefit of having a battery bank larger than a 12 volt system. With the MPPT controllers allowing a higher voltage input (allowing a smaller diameter wire run) do I really need to step up to a 24/48 system. As we all know inverters are not cheap. I am building a system for my retirement home out of the country, and am adding a new component on every year. My fridge is 12 volt and I am at the point where I need to get a pump for water pressure and a Air X Marine wind generator. So is 12 volt good or do I need to get a transformer for my fridge and upgrade to a 24/48 inverter, Thanks

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!