Ben Roberts's posts

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 09:30 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: repairing solar panels
Hi James,

The panel is a 180 watt Sanyo, model number HIP-J54BA2 with a junction box. Serial number 0302B7082. I have photos but can't attach or paste them in the forum.  Max amps is 3.33 and the sticker notes that the bypass diode is 6A.  Not sure if that is 6 amps or just a designator.

Ben

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 09:19 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Diversion Load Issues
I agree. I have no disappointments with my turbine except that the wind doesn't blow as often or as hard as I'd hoped.  But that's my issue, not the turbines.  My 1.5 kW of solar and the Bergey keep us power up 95% of the time.  I'm limited by battery capacity, not power input.

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 09:15 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Diversion Load Issues
Hi,

Went and checked when I got home.  I'm not sure that I have the exact model that you do after all but it's pretty close.  The options for my model are 24 volts in parallel for 40 amps (2 jumpers), in series for 20 amps at 48 volts (1 jumper) or wired without jumpers for 20 amp at 24 volts (which is how I have mine).  The fitting is a standard 1 inch pipefitting.

Ben

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 04:30 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Diversion Load Issues
I don't have mine wired in parallel.  I have a standard threaded insert welded to a 3 ft. piece of 8 inch pipe.  The pipe sits flat at a slight angle with both ends welded closed.  A 2 inch piece of pipe is welded at the upper end for filling.  I have a vented cap on that so that steam can escape if it gets too hot.

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 02:50 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Diversion Load Issues
Hi Thomas,

I have the same setup (Bergey XL.1 and 24/48v heating element) going into a custom made tank.  It's been working fine for over a year but the threaded connections and little insulators are pretty fragile.  In my setup the element is fully immersed.  I wouldn't be worried about burning out the element so much as ensuring the you can most effeciently transfer the heat and water/glycol solution is much better than air. It can get extremely hot (120 F +) so make sure that you use good wire as well. Make sure that you put in a breaker between the Bergey control panel and the element too.

Cheers,

Ben

Posted by Ben Roberts on Jul 23, 2009 02:06 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > repairing solar panels
I have 5 Sanyo 180 watt, 24 volt panels.  I recently noticed a change in time to fully charge my batteries.  While checking fuses and voltages I discovered that while 4 of the panels are producing voltage in the high 40's, 1 panel is producing only 14.2 to 14.4 volts.  I checked at the panel itself and get the same numbers.  I read in a troubleshooting article that it may be the diodes.  does anyone have any experience that can confirm this may be the issue and if so, how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Ben

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!