Alan Stevens's posts

Posted by Alan Stevens on Apr 21, 2001 06:06 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: wind heat
Bruce

Withe the simplistic approach I suggested, the greater problem is what to do with to much power, not the lack of it.

If you used an old water heater as a preheater buy connecting the AC output of the wind generator, (the ones that produce 240V wild AC), any amount of current would produce some heat. If for example the heater had 3000W elements, then it is rated for a max amperage of (3000/240) 12.5 Amps. However, if you only produced 5 amps, then you would only have 1200 Watts to produce heat.

If your generator produced more amps than the element is rated for, then the voltage would rise and cause problems, probably burning out the elements. You could wire the elements together for a limit of 25A.

This is just for direct wind energy to heat. If you put up a wind generator, why not use the electricity for poering your house. In this case, you would have batteries, an inverter, etc. You could use a diversion shunt to divert any excess power into your water preheater.

These are my thoughts, anyone else care to comment?

Alan

Posted by Alan Stevens on Mar 13, 2001 09:48 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: 45' Air Tower Kit
>45' air tower kit still in box
>never been opened. $150.00 plus shipping
>call 970-481-4656 MST.

I am interested, but where are you, how big is the package, how much does it weigh ?

This is so I can calculate shipping costs.

Thanks

Posted by Alan Stevens on Feb 25, 2001 10:09 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: wind heat
Yes there is a way to do this. I have been looking into this myself, since this winter it seems to be very windy here in the Ottawa valley.

Using either solar PV or wind generators, the question is what to do when you don't need any more power, i.e the batteries are fully charged. Solar PV arrays can be disconnected via the charge controller (fancy name for a regulator), but Wind generators should be never be removed from a load. If you did disconnnect the load, it would spin to fast and damage itself. Therefore a different kind of regulator is required. This is called a diversion regulator. When there is excess power (the voltage rises past the set point) it diverts the power to an alternate load usually a resistive heating device.

Now if all you want is heat, forget the regulator, batteries etc. and connect directly to the resistive load. The Whisper generators (and maybe others, I haven't reserched this to far) produce a "wild AC" (meaning the frequency varies wildly) at 208VAC 3 phase. This is intended to be transformed and rectified, but it could be connected directly to a separate (from grid AC power) water heater for example.

Hope this helps

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!