Flashing / sealing

2 Posts
Oct 2, 2012 09:06 pm
Flashing / sealing

I have an AET solar panel to install with a standard mount kit. What is the best way to seal the mounts on my shingle roof to avoid leaks through the bolts holes ?

Also, I purchased a coolie cap pair for the copper pipes. I assume this goes under the shingles, like regular flashing ?

462 Posts
Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am
Re: Flashing / sealing

Brian, use either a good roof sealant  or lapseal,  both come in regular tubes like caulking or use silicone if you have colored shingles. Caulk inside the hole before you insert your lag bolt and under the mount also.... apply to the piping around the hole and under the copper flashing also

2 Posts
Oct 27, 2012 08:17 am

Okay, thanks. And the copper flashing on the coolie cap does go under the shingles, right ?

462 Posts
Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

yes. those caps are small , so tuck the top under the shingle as best you can. doesn't hurt to seal around all edges of the copper cap either. I usually solder the cap directly to the pipe also.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!