solar panel output

9 Posts
Oct 8, 2010 07:55 pm
solar panel output

I’m a little puzzled on this.
Kyocera solar panels
KC 40T is rated at 43 watts. Now you take into consideration the rated power tolerance of plus 15% and minus 5%. Its going to be a rare day that someone gets the +15%. Does the +15 % get added to the 43 watts or is that factored in already? Does the 43 watts turn into 47 or 48 watts?

KC 40 watt and the KC 50 watt rated power tolerance of +15% and -5%

plus 10% and minus 5% on the KC 65 watt to KC 200 watt

the KD 135 watt rated power tolerance is plus 5% and minus 5%

In my way of thinking the plus side of the tolerance adds to
the power rating. Am I somewhat correct?
Thank you

46 Posts
Oct 10, 2010 11:36 pm
Re: solar panel output

hey ray, modules are listed at their nominal output, with the potential of (in this case) 15% more than the listed output. in a small battery based system this can be great, but in larger strings can be very problematic. inverters and charge controllers have a maximum (and min.) voltage and current that
they operate within.
so yes, the plus side does add to the power output (on those rare days). -m

6 Posts
Oct 21, 2010 10:58 pm
Re: solar panel output

I would have to say that any +/- is going to be in amps and not necessarily volts.  A solar cell pretty much has a set voltage it produces, and the amps change depending on the size of the cell.  A 1x1 cell might make 1A at 0.5V for 1/2 watt  where a 2x2 cell might make 4A at 0.5V for 42 watts.  The point being, the voltage stays pretty much the same.

On your question though about 15%, probably not going to happen.  A lot of companies make oh say 185 Watt panels and 195 Watt panels.  both are essentially identical in physical dimensions and materials.  Now when its being tested, if the panel is putting out really good, it's going to get a 195 label on it, if it isn't putting out that much it's going to get a 185 label on it.  I can't see them intentionally giving out watts for free.

Aaron

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!