Which configuration should I choose

7 Posts
Mar 26, 2011 02:18 am
Which configuration should I choose

Hi all,
Here is my project:
My customer currently use 400W halogen lamps at 240V A.C, we have persuaded them to change to use LED floodlight(240V A.C,56W)with solar panel.  Solar Panel is the idea from my customer.  Here is the problem:

In case for a continuously cloudy day, the solar-LED system have to be automatically switch to the mains (240V A.C), so which configuration I should choose:

1a) Change the voltage in of the LED floodlight to 24V D.C and
1b) place an converter (from 240V to 24V D.C) between the mains to the LED floodlight in case not enough solar power supply is detected?  (is there a charger controller equip this feature?)

2) Is there a charge controller have a function that when not enough solar power is detected, the battery can automatically draws current from the mains?

3) Or just add an inverter between the battery and the 240V A.C. in of the LED floodlight, and once not enough solar power is detected by the charger, the mains could supply current to the LED floodlight automatically, in order to doing that, what component is needed?

Pls kindly advise.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Eric Lee

99 Posts
Mar 27, 2011 12:45 am
Re: Which configuration should I choose

Congrats on making the load much more efficient!

If it were me, I'd leave the mains out of it and just size the batteries and solar panels sufficiently to make up for any cloudy days.  If you can do everything on DC and leave the cost of an inverter out of it, you could buy a gas or propane generator to supply power those 2-3 times per year that it's cloudy for a week straight and still come out ahead in cost.

Alternatively, don't bother with batteries and just buy a grid-tie inverter and make all the loads AC.  Then you save significant cost on batteries, always have the grid as backup, and can even sell power back.  But you lose the ability to withstand a blackout of the grid.

The most flexible, but costliest option is to get both a grid-capable inverter and batteries.  Then when there isn't enough sun, your mains power charges the batteries and you draw the DC power from the batteries directly, or you power your AC loads from the inverter.  You should never need an AC-to-DC converter if you have batteries.  The inverter does that for you in order to charge the batteries.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!