Sunny Boy vs Solar Edge

Sep 3, 2015 02:13 pm
Sunny Boy vs Solar Edge

I'm installing an 8000 w array on my barn Pretty ideal case facing south with no shading. I'm debating Sunny Boy vs Solar Edge. I like Solar Edge system over Sunny Boy for 2 reasons: 1. Failsafe to 1 volt per panel output
2. Monitoring of each panel output.
However the cost for Solar Edge is about 50% more and SMA is the industry leader with good track record.
I'd like feedback on your opinions and/or experiences with either or both inverter systems. Thanks.

47 Posts
Sep 14, 2015 10:05 am
Re: Sunny Boy vs Solar Edge

Ah, the eternal debate, string vs panel level inverting. In your situation, there really is no right or wrong choice. Since you don't have shading issues, there really is no need for managing each module. And quite frankly, monitoring per panel is fun, but really not needed. Do you need to know if you have bird poo on one panel that will wash off with the next rain?

With a switchable combiner or pass-thru box, like Midnite Solar's solutions, http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclosures-Electrical-Safety/Electrical-Enclosures/Rapid-System-Shutdown-Components/c1255/, you can meet NEC 2015's requirement to shut off within 10' of the panels.

SMA's SunnyBoy TL grid tie inverter also has a great feature that no one else has right now, their Secure Power Supply, which gives you up to 1500W of 120VAC power during the day in a power outage. It's nice to be able to charge up your phone and laptop and other small devices when the grid is out. http://www.altestore.com/store/Inverters/Grid-Tie-Inverters/5000W-TO-7600-Watt-Grid-Tie-Inverters/Sunny-Boy-5000TL-US-transformerless-5kw-Inverter/p10863/

Amy
Solar Queen
altE Store

47 Posts
Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Re: Sunny Boy vs Solar Edge

Also, if you are interested, I did�  quick video doing an overview of grid tie solar string inverters, DC Optimizers, and micro-inverters you may be interested in watching. https://youtu.be/H2aeV8d7SJY I used a Fronius instead of Sunny Boy, but the message is the same.

Amy
Solar Queen
altE Store

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!