20 amps at 120v. or 2400w of power

2 Posts
Dec 14, 2010 06:12 am
20 amps at 120v. or 2400w of power

I am a newbee and have been reading for about 3 wks. I want to build a solar system that I can run a small fridge 24/7 and tv 4hrs a day and some 12v pumps for water etc. I wanted to know what I would need to supply 2400 watts of power 24/7. I may be able to scale it down to half but wanted to dreem in color if you know what I MEAN. this is for a camp site off the grid. thanks for any info you can help me with. Brian.

462 Posts
Dec 14, 2010 10:48 am
Re: 20 amps at 120v. or 2400w of power

Brian, first you have to determine how long you are going to use each appliance. You said a tv for 4 hrs and a fridge for 24/7. Does the fridge actually run 24/7? There are calculators here at the Alte store to determine actual power needed. Basically if the fridge is only running a few hours a day then calculate by using the amps x voltage x hours used to determine how many amp hrs you need.

eg. 10 amps x 120 Volts x 2 hrs = 2400 amp hrs

then you would need around 4 , 100 Watt panels, exposed to the sun for 6 hrs to recoup the power used.

then do this with each appliance and add up all the power needed on a daily basis.

As far as a charge controller goes, once the amount of panels is determined, use the current from the panels to size your controller.

eg. 4, 100 Watt panels, at 12 V and wired in parallel, will deliver around 100/12 x 4 = 32 amps. So using a 40+ amp charge controller should work for this example.   

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!