New appication

1 Posts
Dec 3, 2008 10:30 am
New appication

I'm in the process of researching for a solar power project utilizing an RF-id reader. The reader is rated at 2.5 Watts.
The reader will vary power depending if it's reading RF-id tags or not.I would like to design a system from the ground up but might need some direction. The system will be fixed and not portable. What kind of questions do I need to ask the reader manufacture regarding the Wattage. Is it always necessary to install a battery with a solar application.  How do i determine the specific equipment i will need. I read some of the articles prior but feel I need a little help at this point. in the meantime I'll keep reading.

Thanks for any help you can give

5 Posts
Dec 4, 2008 07:08 am
Re: New appication

Rick,

There are a few questions you should ask the RFID reader manufacturer: 1) does it use AC or DC power; 2) if AC, does it have a switching power supply; 3) if DC, what is the max input voltage and can it handle brownouts. Remember that manufacturers are optimistic. smile

If the reader uses AC (likely) and it has a switching power supply, you can probably use an inexpensive car inverter. Otherwise, you'll need a True Sine Wave model.

If the reader uses DC, you can skip the inverter.

>Is it always necessary to install a battery with a solar application.

If you don't have a battery then whenever the sun doesn't shine, even for a moment, you'll lose power. If your reader is DC and can handle brownouts, and your application can handle brownouts and blackouts, then you can skip the battery.

If your panel gives more than a trickle charge, you'll need a charge controller to protect the battery against overcharging. If the reader is DC and your panel can produce more than the reader's max input voltage, you need a charge controller to protect the reader, even if you don't have a battery.

Ana Douglas
http://www.verdenova.com
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2009 09:45 am by Ana Douglas »

578 Posts
Dec 4, 2008 11:34 am
Re: New appication

">Is it always necessary to install a battery with a solar application."

merely for a point of clarification, it is not ALWAYS necessary to install a battery with a solar application.  solar water pumping, solar vent fans are examples of pv direct applications that cun run only when the sun is sufficient.

it is important to point out that for your application, batteries would absolutely be necessary, as you cant have your load off everynight and fluctuating daily based in irradiance.

ana did a great job outlining the fact finding you have to do before any design work can begin.

cheers,

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!